Sony: Our iPhone and Galaxy S3 Challenger is Coming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Sony if you want to be in this market and survive, you can't with your crappy products and trying to flash the brand "Sony". That brand has been tarnished from a decade of neglect and no real innovation in the consumer market.

Really? I swear this thing called HDTV, HDMI, Blu-ray was all spear headed by Sony's outrageous R&D expenditure.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]fat_panda[/nom]Really? I swear this thing called HDTV, HDMI, Blu-ray was all spear headed by Sony's outrageous R&D expenditure.[/citation]

Yep you are correct! But that's over 10 years ago...
We are not in 2002 but 2012. Everything you mentioned was ~2002, thanks for providing additional points for my point that Sony has been stagnating for the past decade.

Well it will be hard to tell until it comes out. but I can tell you I am really happy with my Sony Xperia ion. It has everything I wanted in a smartphone and then some. A 4.6inch 720p screen 323ppi 12-megapixel auto-focus camera back 1-megapixel front camera 4G LTE dual core CPU microUSB and microHDMI microSD ports plus support for NFC. All in all a really good phone and it cost me exactly $0.00 with my 2 year upgrade. All in all it is really good and I did not have to put myself in hock to get it. It is running ICS.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]All Sony has to do is make a single device, that will harness the power of console, portable gaming, smartphone, intuitive interface, lots of software support, and free communication to all of it's users across the world, and only this will bring Samsung and Apple to its knees. And of course, the device has to fit comfortably in a hand.[/citation]

That will never happen,if it did some"hacker" would come along and want to use it on a different network and they would remove the phone feature...ya know due to security.

Lekko

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Just make a PS2 phone. Put the PS2 chip inside and bundle it with software to rip PS2 discs to micro SDXC and call it a day.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
It needs to be better than the iphone and GS3, because by the time it's built and passes FCC regulations, iphone 5s and GS4 will be around.
I'm still waiting for my Xperia Play 2...hint hint.

[citation][nom]raytseng[/nom]Reminds me of the Blackberry 10 release RIM CEO Thorsten:"We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform in the market."High goals here...[/citation]

RIM is wants to be a # 3 toy but it is still a # 1 business tool

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]RIM is wants to be a # 3 toy but it is still a # 1 business tool[/citation]

And that gets you what? 80% loss in Market Cap? A company worth $4-5 billion dollars?
You do know businesses have for the past many years allowing Android and iPhones to be used due to the sheer volume of these phones existing with their workforce. Even the US government and military are allowing these phones to be used. The whole Enterprise exclusivity of RIM has been near dead for a few years. There are some hold outs, companies that have not adapted, and still force their workforce to use Blackberries. But who wants a machine that is so dated? Not many this is why the company is on near collapse.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
[citation][nom]acerace[/nom]And what? It very uncomfortable carrying a thick phone in your pocket.[/citation]
To put a battery in that would last a full extra day, it would certainly not be uncomfortable. Unless you are a little midget with tiny muscles.

Each company just wants to brag about having a super thing phone. I just wish they would listen to what loads of people want and have an option of a bigger batter (without giving the phone a massive lump at the back).

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]lunyone[/nom]It should say, "Our iPhone & Galaxy S3 challenger is coming, but by the time it comes out, we will be behind by 6-12 months behind the latest technology and thus no one will probably want to buy our phone".[/citation]

So true. Sony kept disappoint us with subpar hardware on supposed "flagships", and get released at least 2 quarters later, costing as much than the current rival flagship with bleeding edge hardware.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]balev[/nom]To put a battery in that would last a full extra day, it would certainly not be uncomfortable. Unless you are a little midget with tiny muscles. Each company just wants to brag about having a super thing phone. I just wish they would listen to what loads of people want and have an option of a bigger batter (without giving the phone a massive lump at the back).[/citation]

They have those addon cases that add extra battery life. They are used by a small fraction of people, showing you how much value that feature over the increased dimensions and price increase.

People thought Steve Jobs was nuts when he introduced the first iPhone and the battery life that was fractions what most phones at the time were. Especially hardware-eggheads who think specs and boosting the status quo make up a product. Now all smartphones have emulated Jobs' idea of large touch display at the expense of long battery life.

People do not want a smartphone that is 200+ grams. Even the Note II has to be under 200g...

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]At least they got the PS3 right, that will keep part of the company alive[/citation]

Well, that is debatable since Sony has lost billions of dollars in profit on the PS3 since it launched.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Well, that is debatable since Sony has lost billions of dollars in profit on the PS3 since it launched.[/citation]

No Sony makes money of their consoles. Their handhelds are going down the toilet but they net more profits in a console life cycle the past 15 years then any other company, PS3 included.

Status
Not open for further replies.