Sony Replacing Tape With Optical Disc Archive System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If Sony are trying to foist another proprietary storage medium on the world, why not re-invent Betamax as a tape storage solution. All the millions of un-used tapes now have a new purpose in life.

Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Its 2012, who actually still uses tapes????[/citation]

I do! this is for my QIC-3010

9gcb46.jpg

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Twelve platters in a removable cartridge? Sounds like a great step - backwards.[/citation]
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]This is for enterprise and larger businesses I imagine, I don't think home users are a concern.[/citation]

I agree. But consumers are now routinely buying PCs with 1TB+ of storage space and there is simply no practical means to back up these drives for the day they fail. (Not a question of 'if' but 'when') or get stolen.

Backup therefore should be external (i.e. in case of a stolen PC/Laptop). Cloud is not an option as our internet speeds are too slow and an external HD is obviously prone to all sorts of failures too; including me having a clumsy day and dropping it.

Maybe Tom's should offer a poll amongst its users how we do our backups, if any !

Status
Not open for further replies.