Sony Unveils 3D All-In-One VAIO L Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really odd. They're selling a desktop that uses all laptop parts (CPU, GPU)? Why not allow it to run off of batteries and call it a portable desktop?--then it's something unique and kinda cool at least instead of just expensive, slow, and not portable. I know batteries can power an i7-2720QM, GT540M, and full HD screen. So why don't they do that?

[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]This is really odd. They're selling a desktop that uses all laptop parts (CPU, GPU)? Why not allow it to run off of batteries and call it a portable desktop?--then it's something unique and kinda cool at least instead of just expensive, slow, and not portable. I know batteries can power an i7-2720QM, GT540M, and full HD screen. So why don't they do that?[/citation]

Why not? Core i7 -mobile parts are almost as fast as their counterparts in the desktop. These aren't the old Pentium M processors from 10 years ago. I have the Mobile Core I7 1.6Ghz in my laptop...and i've never seen it slow down unless I play a demanding game. It's quad core with Hyperthreading.

The GPU is a little weak, but that doesnt matter as this isn't a gaming computer (although it could easily handle a lot of games on medium settings).

I believe this type of product is aimed at user's who require/want minimal desk space taken up by a computer. These aren't meant for power user's, or people who like to customize their computers.

This type of computer would be great for a few people i know...who aren't computer literate.

Also this looks like it's taking aim at the Apple IMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.