Sony Unveils Carbon Fibre Vaio X

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Sony tax can be as bad as Apple tax sometimes. Specially when it's a new or high profile product. That combined with an integrated battery and a low powered processor means that it wont catch the eye of anyone who has work to do.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Carbon fibre is nice but I'm not sold on that VGA port on the side. Isn't it about time we drop VGA and upgrade to DVI or HDMI?[/citation]
Yes, we should have stopped support for VGA years ago. But alas, too many people still have VGA only monitors and sadly, more VGA only LCD's are still being produced.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
Did anyone else notice the intense flexing the screen did as she opened it up? I much prefer to have more rigidity with my notebooks/netbooks.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]p00dl3_h3r0[/nom]Did anyone else notice the intense flexing the screen did as she opened it up? I much prefer to have more rigidity with my notebooks/netbooks.[/citation]
I noticed that as well, I was just about to write that :p

G

I like how having a touchpad with TWO buttons is considered a very nice feature ¬_¬

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
the specs will be crap, (tho it'd probably have an ssd) but it will cost a fortune! but thats ok, ultra light, small cool looking netbook, with long battery life. not to mention the coolness of carbon fiber! great for people with money to burn, for everyone else, no reason to buy this.
(btw carbon fiber is fairly strong, so i wouldn't worry about the flimsy look of it)

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Sony tax can be as bad as Apple tax sometimes. Specially when it's a new or high profile product. That combined with an integrated battery and a low powered processor means that it wont catch the eye of anyone who has work to do.[/citation]

actually sony can be worse than apple, one of sony's desktops (an imac-like thing) can go as high as $4000, and it only has a core 2 quad, at least at apple you'd get dual quad core xeons and still pay less

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]actually sony can be worse than apple, one of sony's desktops (an imac-like thing) can go as high as $4000, and it only has a core 2 quad, at least at apple you'd get dual quad core xeons and still pay less[/citation]
Yeah, I reread my comment earlier and realized I put as bad as, when I meant to put as bad as, or worse. :p

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]I noticed that as well, I was just about to write that[/citation]

A lot of LED screens have a thinner profile...I guess that's why it flexes.

My friend's Dell XPS M1330 has a LED screen, and it sorta flexes like that.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Come on !!

First a Gold computer 20k+ with an Atom inside and now a Vaio X made of uber-cool Carbon Fiber....with (possibly) an Atom inside. Personally that's waste of unique materials in underpowered computers.

Yeah. A sheep with wolf's clothing.

The worst part is...I cannot imagine this soaring oon the thousands just because you're using the same material as your Fast and Furious Racing vehicle.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
once my boss gets wind of this, he'll be effing up his current ultra-thin WinPC and asking if i cant just order him one of these with email, a web browser and a fully-licensed copy of Leisure Suit Larry.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Zachary K[/nom]if only she could have ninjed in a flash drive with cpu-z and gpu-z.[/citation]

Doesn't everybody carry CPU-Z and GPU-Z everywhere they go?
If only...

But why not Magnesium instead of Carbon Fiber? Stronger and lighter than aluminum and very rigid also (so you don't have that flexing screen crap).

dmv915

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Doesn't everybody carry CPU-Z and GPU-Z everywhere they go?If only...But why not Magnesium instead of Carbon Fiber? Stronger and lighter than aluminum and very rigid also (so you don't have that flexing screen crap).[/citation]
The cost of magnesium is multiple times as expensive as carbon fiber.

[citation][nom]Major7Up[/nom]Yes, we should have stopped support for VGA years ago. But alas, too many people still have VGA only monitors and sadly, more VGA only LCD's are still being produced.[/citation]
Agreed. VGA should have died like 3 - 4 years ago. One thing they can do is just put in a HDMI/DVI port and like Apple, expect them to upgrade or buy a converter. IIRC Apple dropped VGA for most of their stuff?

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
That it's VGA is silly, that it's a full-sized VGA connector is just plain stupid. It's a 14mm thick ultra-portable. It appears to use a mini ethernet jack (so dongle will be needed), so why not a mini-VGA or better yet mini DVI-I, or mini DisplayPort. the full sized VGA connector it too large, looks goofy, and looks like its a weak spot on the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.