Question Sony Vaio laptop not booting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Laptop model: Sony Vaio E Series N50 SVE151A11W

This laptop is not booting. Only the power light and the HDD light is flashing when I hit the power key. See this video here
View: https://youtu.be/xWhcoH2JeIM
to see this directly. The screen stays black and the keyboard lights do not come on.

It has Windows 10 installed. Yesterday I changed the BIOS to Legacy and changed the boot order to boot first from USB, then optical drive then main HDD. I also disabled Secure Boot. I changed the BIOS settings so I could run Clonezilla to make a clone of the HDD. I did this successfully. But now it won't boot. It does not boot from USB or go to the HDD.

The F2 BIOS key does not work and does not take me to BIOS settings. (I had to take an alternate path to finally get to the BIOS.)

I tried to boot into Parted Magic on a USB but that doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to diagnose or fix this so it boots? Bad MBR? Need any other details?

I'd like to run Spinrite 6.1 on it, but 6.1 is not out yet.

Aug 15, 2023
This laptop is not booting. Only the power light and the HDD light is flashing when I hit the power key. See this video here
View: https://youtu.be/xWhcoH2JeIM
to see this directly. The screen stays black and the keyboard lights do not come on.

It has Windows 10 installed. Yesterday I changed the BIOS to Legacy and changed the boot order to boot first from USB, then optical drive then main HDD. I also disabled Secure Boot. I changed the BIOS settings so I could run Clonezilla to make a clone of the HDD. I did this successfully. But now it won't boot. It does not boot from USB or go to the HDD.

The F2 BIOS key does not work and does not take me to BIOS settings. (I had to take an alternate path to finally get to the BIOS.)

I tried to boot into Parted Magic on a USB but that doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to diagnose or fix this so it boots? Bad MBR? Need any other details?

I'd like to run Spinrite 6.1 on it, but 6.1 is not out yet.
Hi , first take out battery and also bios battery and press power buton for 15 sec , in order to drain out all curent and also with no power connected try short bios Battery pins for about 5 sec , after that you can measure bios battery to be ok should have 3v no less then 2 , put in bios battery and power and try to start laptop , if bios was reset the laptop should start and you can access bios and manage the settings , if all ok with bios , try to set correct boot options and test .

Reactions: Advaitom

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Update: I put the cover back on and powered on and it said "Operating System Not Found".
The F2 BIOS key doesn't work and doesn't take me to the BIOS.
I put in my Clonezilla USB and it booted into Clonezilla.
How can I get to the BIOS settings?

Aug 15, 2023
Update: I put the cover back on and powered on and it said "Operating System Not Found".
The F2 BIOS key doesn't work and doesn't take me to the BIOS.
I put in my Clonezilla USB and it booted into Clonezilla.
How can I get to the BIOS settings?
Hi , try with an external keyboard and see if you can access bios , if you can access you need to modify boot settings in order for computer to recognize your HDD OS , UEFi or legacy depend on what settings you had , and if you windows boot try to make a bios update , the battery you can replace it will work with 2.3 but if you have the possibility you can change , disconnect laptop keyboard and try with a USB keyboard and see if you can access bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.