Sony's PS4 Will Have Very Large Hard Drive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It will probably launch with a 750 GB hard drive. You can buy one on amazon for $ 54.00, so i'm thinking they can buy them in bulk and eliminate amazon and buy them for about $ 25.00 each. The deluxe model will probably have a 1 TB Hard Drive.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]Thats what they did with the ps3. you can use any 2.5" hard drive or even solid states. Do some research before spewing nonsense. and the sony of the past is not the sony of today. Its been many years since anything like that happened[/citation]

ps3 has a proprietary file system and you cannot read the drive on anything else other than the console it was setup in...that is the NONSENSE. PS3 phones home every time you get online and even reports the tv you are using that it read through the HDMI cable.$ony has not changed it's ways, or the new console would be backwards compatible with ps 1,2, and 3 discs. People have begged for that and it falls of deaf ears. Maybe you should research more :).

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Thomas Hock[/nom]The whole PS4 hype shit is getting old really. We know it'll be optimized but my GTX680s in SLI will still look and run better. The PS4 will just have less to deal with and do damn well doing it. Better? no. Impressive? yesany hoot, good for Sony and AMD, they both need this. AMD more than anyone really. AMD hasn't had a top end CPU in years and this might bring them money they've been needing. Go AMD on this front. And Intel don't screw us on the 4770k using crappy thermal paste in the CPU die like you did with the 3770k. because of that im still using my 2600k @ 5.1Ghz "water" and i'm not replacing for a downgrade.[/citation]

you actualy used the crappy intel branded paste with your system ??? any smart builder will buy their own third party thermal past even when using a regular box cooler.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]you actualy used the crappy intel branded paste with your system ??? any smart builder will buy their own third party thermal past even when using a regular box cooler.[/citation]
Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I gathered, it wasn't the thermal paste, it was some other metal inside or closer to the CPU than the paste that had been changed that was causing the higher temperatures.

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]you actualy used the crappy intel branded paste with your system ??? any smart builder will buy their own third party thermal past even when using a regular box cooler.[/citation]

That guy is talking about the widely known problem of 3570K and 3770K with bad thermal paste between the cpu's lid the the cpu's die, which is Intel's fault. It has been reported in so many websites that people that de-lid their CPU go about 20C down LOL. Intel did not use their fluxless soldering tech for this one (probably saves costs?)

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
My guess is that they came up with some archiving technique to fit next gen games onto blu-ray and then have it zip bomb the hard drive for every game. That would be fantastic for loading speeds once you get past the install.

Sony said the Eye will identify where players are physically positioned in a split/screen multiplayer session, and shift the windows around to best suit that player's actual location in front of the TV.
aside from spying concerns, how does it know where the TV is relative to the console? or does it require the user to mount it in a specific location relative to the TV?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]MauveCloud[/nom]aside from spying concerns, how does it know where the TV is relative to the console? or does it require the user to mount it in a specific location relative to the TV?[/citation]
Console probably has to be in a certain spot or it will have some calibration you can run to tell it where it is.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]m32[/nom]2TB. Make it happen![/citation]

problem is that I have yet seen a 2 TB drive on a 2.5 nor 1.8 sizes.
so the largest possible would still be 1 TB.

I expect the first consoles to include a measly (by today's standards) of 500 GB only.

golfdk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]"As for the PlayStation Eye camera, two are mounted inside the console," Call me paranoid but these will be covered with electrical tape at my house.[/citation]

Skynet will still find a way to monitor people.... :)

[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Very large hard drive? 2TB can run for about 100 bucks, probably 75 in massive bulk. I'm not sure how console gamers will feel about this added cost.[/citation]

They'll need it if they want to store games on a hard drive. That's kinda important IMO since even a hard drive tends to perform much better than any affordable optical disk drive AFAIK.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]"very large" will be "rather small" by PC standards[/citation]

Not for consumers. If it's even 750GB or 1TB, then it's very large considering that most OEM systems are still 250GB to 500GB.

[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]problem is that I have yet seen a 2 TB drive on a 2.5 nor 1.8 sizes.so the largest possible would still be 1 TB. I expect the first consoles to include a measly (by today's standards) of 500 GB only.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that I've seen 1.5TB 2.5" HDDs around.

[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]consoles spying on you with cams, not surprising from a company that had root kits on cd's,and systems that phone home without the customers approval. just support ntfs and people can use their own storage easily....oh that would be too convenient for the customer oops.[/citation]

NTFS is proprietary. They can't support it officially without MS allowing it and I don't think that'll happen. They can support one of the FAT systems AFAIK and that would be ok.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Don't worry. Microsoft has a patent that covers the concept of a console shutting off if "too many" people are watching a movie that has a set limit on how many people can watch it. The console will give a brief warning period before it stops the movie until the extra people leave.I'm fairly sure if that's ever implemented, MS would also ensure that should the camera get blocked, the console won't work.[/citation]

Considering MS's usual consistency in doing a good job of such things, I'm sure that several hackers/crackers would find at least half a dozen ways to circumvent anything MS tries to do like that.

[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I gathered, it wasn't the thermal paste, it was some other metal inside or closer to the CPU than the paste that had been changed that was causing the higher temperatures.[/citation]

[citation][nom]tlg[/nom]That guy is talking about the widely known problem of 3570K and 3770K with bad thermal paste between the cpu's lid the the cpu's die, which is Intel's fault. It has been reported in so many websites that people that de-lid their CPU go about 20C down LOL. Intel did not use their fluxless soldering tech for this one (probably saves costs?)[/citation]

tlg is correct, there is an issue of Intel not using the flux-less metal solder between the IHS and the CPU die for Ivy Bridge (it's also not the first time that they did this) and instead not only using paste where it doesn't belong, but some of the crappiest paste I've ever known. They aren't talking about using stock Intel paste from the cooling heatsink and fan hardware.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]So basically this is an overpriced Windows 7 PC with substandard parts?Sounds to me like a more powerful version of a iSheep device.[/citation]

They merely based some of the concepts on Windows 7 to make programming for it easy with current tools and such. This is still so far from Windows 7 in a practical way for gamers that it's not even funny. Utilization of hardware will be far higher, theoretically much better than the PS3 too (which was a mess for that as far as consoles go).

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]thillntn[/nom]ps3 has a proprietary file system and you cannot read the drive on anything else other than the console it was setup in...that is the NONSENSE. PS3 phones home every time you get online and even reports the TV you are using that it read through the HDMI cable.$ony has not changed it's ways, or the new console would be backwards compatible with ps 1,2, and 3 discs. People have begged for that and it falls of deaf ears. Maybe you should research more .[/citation]

It may have its own filesystem, but that doesn't stop anyone from using a $50 750gb drive inside of it. I got a launch PS3 with a 60gb drive and with a flip of a panel and a few screws you can put a nice 750gb drive it. As for backwards compatibility, you can look at the data and 2 years or so after new consoles launch that are backwards compatible, so few people are booting up last gen games on their system. I think its a GREAT thing to have and I am so happy my PS3 can play all my Playstation games... but the costs of keeping the emotion engine chip (the PS2 chip) was not worth it, and removing it keeps the costs down. Now gamers who read game blog and news sites for games are all about backwards compatibility.... but that is not really the base of people who bought a PS3 and those people are highly likely never to boot up a PS2/PS1 game on there system even if it was an option. And the ones that want it can always source a launch model on the internet for cheap because people are dumping them for the slimmer models.

There will be an outcry if the PS4 does not have BC, just as there was from Xbox to Xbox 360. But that outcry will fade as there are more games released. I for one have never played an Xbox game on my 360. And this time around the Cell Processor my be too hard to emulate, and just not worth the money, but we will see.

And if you are so concerned about the PS3 "phoning home" then just unplug the ethernet cable.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Thomas Hock[/nom]The whole PS4 hype shit is getting old really. We know it'll be optimized but my GTX680s in SLI will still look and run better. The PS4 will just have less to deal with and do damn well doing it. Better? no. Impressive? yesany hoot, good for Sony and AMD, they both need this. AMD more than anyone really. AMD hasn't had a top end CPU in years and this might bring them money they've been needing. Go AMD on this front. And Intel don't screw us on the 4770k using crappy thermal paste in the CPU die like you did with the 3770k. because of that im still using my 2600k @ 5.1Ghz "water" and i'm not replacing for a downgrade.[/citation]

Anyone else think this guy is just looking for an excuse to tell us about the $900 worth of graphics cards he has in his rig?

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]IAmVortigaunt[/nom]Anyone else think this guy is just looking for an excuse to tell us about the $900 worth of graphics cards he has in his rig?[/citation]

A lot of jerkoffs do this to stroke their own e-peen.

Definitely compensating for something.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Yeah 4 days is a really long time.... clueless.[/citation]
if you don't like how long it takes for you to read the news, then stop and go somewhere else for tech new....moron

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I think it is time AMD take lessons working with Sony. Maybe they should use GDDR5 as the default memory in their APU systems, too. I am impressed by PS4's APU and how they enhanced their software side to perform optimally

Status
Not open for further replies.