Sophos: Win 7 UAC Ineffective Against Malware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticalzero

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
So what? UAC was not meant to be a penetrative-proof protection for malwares and would never be. Rather, it was designed to reduce the risk of getting infected, not nullify any attempts out there. Anti-malware solutions should fill this hole left by UAC and work in tandem. Of course, despite all that, the biggest hole of all is still the end-user as he/she has limitless control of the system.

Yeah, I agree with many- UAC was never meant to replace anti-virus software and such. Sure, it makes things a bit better, but it isn't the best solution. Run and AV- free or paid and you're as protected as you'll ever be.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
QUESTION: What really is different in UAC for Vista vs. 7? It feels exactly the same in normal use! (I can see some benefit, but it gets annoying to have the screen blank out for a moment and halt everything.)

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
really, what did you expect AV companies to say?!

"Please, don't buy our products anymore. We are closing down." !!!

somehow... It reminds me of nVidia's comments on using dx10.1 and dx11 !!!

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
That was never a claim made M$, at least that I'm aware of. Why not throw on security essentials and re-run the test. Hell compare with whatever they offer if they have have the courage.

Otherwise this is tabloid trash talking and useless.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The reason Windows has security problems is because Microsoft thinks integrating application code with operating system code provides them with a competitive advantage. Any designer of operating systems knows that is irrational from a security and stability standpoint. All applications must be isolated to their own system space so that they do not impact other opplications or the operating system. Windows does not do that.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I just opened up kernel32.dll with Microsoft Excel on a locked down corporate PC. Windows is a HORRIBLE operating system. It is dangerous and it is a blight on the IT world. It is bad for us and we need a good operating system to dominate so we can all enjoy the benefits of computing tecnology.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
"Windows does not do that." ... nor does any operating system that ever was used outside an undergraduate computer science class.

Here is a quote form Linus Torvalds "Sometimes it’s a bit sad that we are definitely not the streamlined, small hyper efficient kernel I envisioned 15 years ago. The kernel is huge and bloated and our iCache footprint is scary. There’s no question about that, and whenever we add a new feature, it only gets worse."

Simple elegantly designs only work for artificially simplified problems.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
errr, what is the point of this 'news' article? MS never have said UAC is meant to replace having AV software, ion fact W7 will nag you (just like vista, and rightfully so too) about installing an AV program until you have done so.

chardrak

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I just find it funny that I have been running windows 7 since it was first publicly available with no antivirus other than to randomly test if I may have got anything whatsoever over the year or so I've ran it with absolutely nothing to show for infection. Then again running XP I never caught anything either. Saying Windows needs virus software is retarded. More accurately, don't go to/use retarded websites and programs. That simple.

It's no big deal even if it can get viruses. Mac isn't virus proof either. Anything that can run software can have a virus. Mac "experts" even suggest all mac users invest in some virus protection as well considering the strings of crippled macs over the years.

The end user is the only enemy to a secure system and sadly with Windows being the most used, it has a lot of enemies to its security. UAC deactivation and other attempts to remove "annoying" elements simply remove layer upon layer of security so the OS can be attacked. Don't complain or blame the OS when your own doing has put you in your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.