Sound Card - which power-cables can be used?

zack_gray

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2014
So I have an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 (longest name ever) sound card, which I purchased solely for the 7.1 feature and customisable sound setup (I have hearing damage in my left ear - the setup can be used to compensate for this). I've recently rebuilt my rig (specs below) and in particular, I've made a point of getting Corsair braided cables, in order to a) do a nice cable job and b) ensure that the red & black theme of my ROG equipment was maintained.

The default power cable is some kind of horrible PCI (6pin) to molex monstrosity, which has the audacity to include a 'white' molex head meaning my wonderfully streamlined & color co-ordinated setup is now thrown out the window. As it's molex, it also means that I have to go about getting a molex-to-fan cable, which just means more cables for nothing.

My question is; can I use just a normal 6pin PCI cable from the card, directly to the PSU or whether any knows if Asus designed it this way specifically. There's no resistors built into either cable, but obviously the fan cable will be pulling a much lower amount of power from the motherboard, than the PCI to PSU setup would.

Basically; will I destroy my PC/PC components by setting up PCI-to-PSU on my sound card, or should I stick with PCI-Molex-Fan?

Solution

Im using one of the 6+2pin (without the +2 ofc) from a modular PSU without any problem on my own Phoebus.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Im using one of the 6+2pin (without the +2 ofc) from a modular PSU without any problem on my own Phoebus.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS