[SOLVED] Sound on speakers and headphones simultaneously

Nov 19, 2019
My father has severe hearing impairment whereas my mothers hearing is perfectly fine. Because of that i need to find a way to connect wireless headphones to their tv so that my father can hear sound but at the same time i need sound from tv's speakers also so that my mother can enjoy it too.
Traditionally if you connect headphone to a tv's 3.5 mm jack it will disable sound from tv speakers which is not acceptable here.
They have a normal Samsung LED which does not have bluetooth connectivity.
Now i am willing to buy them a new tv but in our part of the world bluetooh enabled tv's are pretty costly. Also bluetooth has latency issues & to avoid that one has to go for high-end headphone brands which again are quite expensive.
I have my eyes set on Hisense U7A along with a Sony MDR-RF895RK headphone. The idea is to connect this headphone to the optical audio out of the tv & than get sound from both headphone & tv speakers. Can it be done?
Also if not than what can you recommend.

Last edited:
Solution
If you use dedicated RCA / Optical interface, internal TV speakers won't be affected. Then, depending on the TV make/model/year, TV' volume control may or may not control RCA/Optical volume as well.

As to "How to get audio to headphones": Wireless headsets using infra-red or FM transmitters were available well before BT was even a thing, so look around. Something like this

BT headsets, however, have the advantage of not to be married to a particular transmitter. In that case, you'll need BT transimtter, with appropriate input (RCA or optical). Another example
What audio outputs does the TV have? Some TVs have "normal" RCA-style audio output where one can connect wireless headset. More recent TVs have optical audio out, which can be converted to RCA. Finally - where the TV programme comes from? If it comes from a STB - probably there's audio output aswell.

Nov 19, 2019
What audio outputs does the TV have? Some TVs have "normal" RCA-style audio output where one can connect wireless headset. More recent TVs have optical audio out, which can be converted to RCA. Finally - where the TV programme comes from? If it comes from a STB - probably there's audio output aswell.
Their older Samsung has RCA style audio output whereas newer Hisense has optical audio out and yes both can be used for headphone connectivity. Tv program comes from a regional cable network which doesn't use STB.
The real question here is how to get sound in headphones without disabling the tv speakers?

If you use dedicated RCA / Optical interface, internal TV speakers won't be affected. Then, depending on the TV make/model/year, TV' volume control may or may not control RCA/Optical volume as well.

As to "How to get audio to headphones": Wireless headsets using infra-red or FM transmitters were available well before BT was even a thing, so look around. Something like this

BT headsets, however, have the advantage of not to be married to a particular transmitter. In that case, you'll need BT transimtter, with appropriate input (RCA or optical). Another example

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 19, 2019
If you use dedicated RCA / Optical interface, internal TV speakers won't be affected.
Good, thats what i wanted to hear. Since I've already shortlisted Sony MDR-RF895RK headphone, i think i'll buy it & if the issue of volume control arises we can always use optical D/A convertor with a built-in headphone amp and volume control.
Thanks for the response.