[SOLVED] Sound problems when using PS4 controller on PC

rocket4929

Honorable
Jun 9, 2015
So I have this problem with my PS4 controller on PC when it comes to sounds. I have the PS4 controller connected via USB to my PC and I use the audio jack on the controller for my headset. The problem is at some point while gaming, the sound totally disappears from my headset. To get the sound back up again, I have to just have to move the volume slider on the PC a bit (in any direction) and it will come back again, only to disappear again later. This is annoying because; 1) I can't seem to find any solution on the internet, 2) I have to constantly adjust the volume for the sound to go back again, and 3) I can't just connect the headset to the PC because the cord is not long enough. Did anyone encounter this problem yet?

Note: I have checked the volume mixer and there is sound coming from the game despite the headset being completely mute. I have played Youtube videos and the problem doesn't occur there, only while in-game. As of now, this happens while I play Assassin's Creed IV and Rogue, I will try and test it in other games if it also occurs there.

Edit: Finally found the exact issue. Apparently it is a bug in DS4Windows, where vibration in the controller will remove all sounds. Using another version of DS4Windows fixes the issue.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not sure how well the audio passthrough on the DS4 is supported on Windows. My suspicion is the audio is being interrupted because windows thinks there's no controller input (incorrectly) and dropping the audio signal until you do something to refresh it.
I'm not sure how well the audio passthrough on the DS4 is supported on Windows. My suspicion is the audio is being interrupted because windows thinks there's no controller input (incorrectly) and dropping the audio signal until you do something to refresh it.

Solution

rocket4929

Honorable
Jun 9, 2015
Ok, I found the culprit and its DS4Windows. I played an entire session of MH:W and the problem didn't show up. It seems that AC 4 and Rogue was acting strange because I was playing those with DS4Windows open. Steam Big Picture mode also doesn't have any sound when I have DS4Windows open. I set up the controller on Steam and the problem doesn't show anymore up as of now.