Question Soundbar connection to projector

Jan 22, 2021
Hello all,
I'm a happy owner of an Optoma UHD550x.
I would like to add a soundbar, and I'm considering Samsung HW-Q950T or Sony HT-ZF9, that have 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output (arc).
The idea is to use HDMI cables for this configuration:
Apple TV - soundbar - projector
TV receiver - soundbar - projector

As of now, I already have HDMI cable setup from the projector to the future location of the soundbar, and I would like to be able to use Dolby Atmos.

I have contacted both Samsung and Sony, and they both say that it won't work because the projector doesn't have arc, so the sound will be reproduced by the projector and not the soundbar.

Has anyone being successful in connecting a soundbar to a projector? Any suggestion?
Thank you very much,

Fabio

Jan 22, 2021
Hello Wolf, thank you for your reply!
I have had a look at the same document before posting, and at page 21 it refers to "TV that supports HDMI ARC" and so does at page 27.
Not being an ARC projector, my fear is that the sound comes out of the projector integrated speakers and not the soundbar.
Anyone has been successful in such a configuration?
Thank you!

Fabio

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think I may have been mis-remembering my old projector setup. Sorry. Doing a re-read on HDMI ARC, I'm thinking I needed a secondary audio cable running from my HTPC to my receiver. I don't support your AppleTV or TV receiver has optical audio out, do they?

-Wolf sends

Jan 22, 2021
Apple TV doesn't have any other output except for HDMI, and most of all I don't have any other cable setup between the projector and the soundbar area except for an HDMI... I should find some other alternatives :(
If anyone can help, let me know!
Thank you!

I should find some other alternatives :(
If anyone can help, let me know!
Thank you!
My understanding is you haven't bought the soundbar yet? If not, in my opinion you should forget all thoughts about 'a soundbar'. I've never owned one but they seem to be a total pain to connect the way folks want to connect them.
That nice projector of yours really deserves to be working beside a receiver ... one that supports Atmos and allows 4k passthrough. All your connection problems disappear and ... you'll get much better sound. It doesn't have to cost a small fortune ... even a 'entry level' receiver will out perform a soundbar.

Jan 22, 2021
My understanding is you haven't bought the soundbar yet? If not, in my opinion you should forget all thoughts about 'a soundbar'. I've never owned one but they seem to be a total pain to connect the way folks want to connect them.
That nice projector of yours really deserves to be working beside a receiver ... one that supports Atmos and allows 4k passthrough. All your connection problems disappear and ... you'll get much better sound. It doesn't have to cost a small fortune ... even a 'entry level' receiver will out perform a soundbar.

Hello Robert,
I havent bought any soundbar yet, I was trying first to understand the best setup configuration first.
I'm a total newbie on this topic, what is a receiver? Can you suggest some brands and models so I can look them up online? Thank you very much!

Fabio

Hello Robert,
I havent bought any soundbar yet, I was trying first to understand the best setup configuration first.

Yes, You're very smart to be doing this. Way too many people, blindly buy a soundbar, and then discover they can't connect it up they want to. They end up trying to fit a 'square peg into a round hole' if you know what I mean.

I'm a total newbie on this topic, what is a receiver? Can you suggest some brands and models so I can look them up online? Thank you very much!

Here's a link regarding receivers in general:

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-1MnIQ3i8xk2/learn/learningcenter/home/receivers.html

I lot of companies make receivers: Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz etc. I'm quite partial to Onkyo - wide range from 'budget friendly' to very high end. Here's an example of a budget friendly Onkyo (with 4k passthrough and Atmos):

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR3...1&s=electronics&sprefix=onkyo+,aps,212&sr=1-1

Keep in mind that you'd still need speakers. They don't have to cost a small fortune either though..

Jan 22, 2021
Yes, You're very smart to be doing this. Way too many people, blindly buy a soundbar, and then discover they can't connect it up they want to. They end up trying to fit a 'square peg into a round hole' if you know what I mean.

Here's a link regarding receivers in general:

https://www.crutchfield.ca/S-1MnIQ3i8xk2/learn/learningcenter/home/receivers.html

I lot of companies make receivers: Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz etc. I'm quite partial to Onkyo - wide range from 'budget friendly' to very high end. Here's an example of a budget friendly Onkyo (with 4k passthrough and Atmos):

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR393-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B07T3PRK4L/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VWOC7INA2CDV&dchild=1&keywords=onkyo+receivers&qid=1612464129&refinements=p_89:Onkyo&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=onkyo+,aps,212&sr=1-1

Keep in mind that you'd still need speakers. They don't have to cost a small fortune either though..

Thank you very much Robert, your reply is super accurate and complete, it's gonna help me a lot in understanding how it all works! Great job :)

Jan 22, 2021
Is this model suitable for watching sports matches? I love the price of this projector, but I read about other options that are currently on the market. At the expense of audio output via HDMI - it's easy to implement.
I'm really happy with this projector, I am using it daily with an Optoma projector screen, but I must admit I rarely watch sport... Most of all movies.
But still I haven't set up a proper audio system, I'm now considering using an HDMI splitter to separate video and audio, but I'm concerned by possible delays.