[SOLVED] soundbar or low-profile speakers

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hello all

Does anyone have a recommendation for either a good quality soundbar or, alternatively, good quality low-profile speakers (for PC)? I have very limited desk real estate and need the speaker(s) to sit under the monitor as opposed to either side of it. Monitor clearance is only 6cm for speakers, but a soundbar could sit in front of the monitor, and so isn't quite as constrained by that measurement.

The catch is that it/they MUST have a headphone jack. I'm looking for a price point under CAN$300 if possible. If there is a soundbar option without a separate subwoofer, that would be even better.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: This would be connecting to either a new Aorus X570 or Z490/Z390 motherboard, or alternatively a Soundblaster ZXR card.

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
You can also put speakers behind the monitor, it won't affect the sound that much.

2.2 inches tall https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-2-0-channel-soundbar-system-black/6344253.p?skuId=6344253

3 inches https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-2-0-channel-soundbar-with-40-watt-digital-amplifier-black/6201020.p?skuId=6201020

Both are more than good enough for computer audio, the higher priced ones are larger or with subs.

Many thanks for your reply. The LG model (it appears from the questions/answers) does not have a headphone jack. I cannot confirm whether the vizio model does, as the website and associated feedback on point is silent. I've noted your point on having speakers placed behind the monitor and will investigate.

Many thanks for your reply. The LG model (it appears from the questions/answers) does not have a headphone jack. I cannot confirm whether the vizio model does, as the website and associated feedback on point is silent. I've noted your point on having speakers placed behind the monitor and will investigate.

If you look at the pictures you can see if there are aux in ports, or under the specifications in the link. Odd thing about the LG is there is something that looks like a 3.5mm jack but it's not listed in the specs and is named something different.

Your motherboard has an optical audio out, why avoid using that?

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
If you look at the pictures you can see if there are aux in ports, or under the specifications in the link. Odd thing about the LG is there is something that looks like a 3.5mm jack but it's not listed in the specs and is named something different.

Your motherboard has an optical audio out, why avoid using that?

The case is not proximate to my seating position, so the motherboard's audio out isn't convenient, but that's a good suggestion.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"The case is not proximate to my seating position, so the motherboard's audio out isn't convenient, but that's a good suggestion. "

Yes that is a good suggestion and easily implemented with the applicable male-female extension cord.

Connect the male end to the inconvenient audio out port and place the female end somewhere convenient.

Just sharing an immediate thought.

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
If I translate your budget to USD, it is around 225 bucks and this should be good enough to get you a powerful soundbar that can be connected to a TV or any other system. I was researching on the soundbars and came to know about really good Anker Nebula Soundbar which supports Fire TV and 4k display in the TVs. I don't know how this was possible but this MediaTek-powered soundbar costs just $200 and comes with Alexa voice control feature. You can go for this.

Just a thought for an idea, I have a pair of LG 27" monitors and a pair of Yamaha HS8 speakers. I have the speakers laying on there side and the monitors sitting on top of them with the monitors pushed almost all the way down on the height adjusters. Sometimes you need to look outside the box for an odd solution to a problem.

You also have more hookups with the ZxR then just headphone jack. I run my headphones off the the volume adjuster brake out box and then have the speakers plugged in with RCA, then use the Sound Blaster Z-series control panel to switch between headphone and speakers. Using the secondary card gives you optical as well.

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Regarding:

"The case is not proximate to my seating position, so the motherboard's audio out isn't convenient, but that's a good suggestion. "

Yes that is a good suggestion and easily implemented with the applicable male-female extension cord.

Connect the male end to the inconvenient audio out port and place the female end somewhere convenient.

Just sharing an immediate thought.

I wasn't aware that extension cords like this existed. Thanks for being so kind while sharing this information.

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
You said in the post it would be connecting to the motherboard, so what are you connecting the speakers to? Audio pass-through on your monitor?

Apologies if I wasn't clear, or if I have muddied the waters/misunderstood - I referred to the motherboard in my initial post because I didn't know whether the connectivity on the new boards would make a difference in terms of connecting the soundbar to the PC.

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Just a thought for an idea, I have a pair of LG 27" monitors and a pair of Yamaha HS8 speakers. I have the speakers laying on there side and the monitors sitting on top of them with the monitors pushed almost all the way down on the height adjusters. Sometimes you need to look outside the box for an odd solution to a problem.

You also have more hookups with the ZxR then just headphone jack. I run my headphones off the the volume adjuster brake out box and then have the speakers plugged in with RCA, then use the Sound Blaster Z-series control panel to switch between headphone and speakers. Using the secondary card gives you optical as well.

I'll certainly look around for speakers that may allow for the kind of set-up you suggest. Thank you for this. I'd not realized that the ZxR came with the box you mentioned, which has a headphone jack right there. Based on your post, I'll hopefully be able to create a similar set of connections! Thank you.