Question soundbar to PC problems

Oct 11, 2022
I have been fighting an issue for several years now with 2 different soundbars, on 2 or 3 completely different pcs . When i connect the soundbar to my Nvidia 3080 (same issue with 1660 ti and 3060 ti) with hdmi, windows detects it, displays the proper surround options, works just fine, until the pc goes to sleep or powers off. Then windows "forgets" the soundbar is actually a 5.1, or 5.1.4 with my new system and auto reverts to stereo mode, with all the other surround options greyed out. Running the trouble shooter does nothing. Fiddling with sound settings, configuring speakers, making the device default or any combination of settings changes in the sound settings does nothing. I have spend 10s of hours messing about and the only thing that seems to work is power cycling the soundbar itself while the pc is on and the hdmi plugged in. Upon power cycling it fires right back up and i can use 5.1, 7.1 or atmos with my Elevate. It works perfect until the next sleep or power down. Eco power is turned off on the soundbar (auto sleep timer after inactivity) as that could also trigger the pc flipping back to stereo mode.

It did it with my old vizio sb3851-d0 and is now doing it with my new Vizio Elevate. With the old bar i eventually got frustrated and gave up and just connected with the optical cord and accepted i was only getting 2 channel audio. Now that i have the elevate, I do not want to have to power cycle my soundbar daily or everytime i wanna play a game or watch a movie in surround or atmos. I have seen many similar issues online with other revievers, different brands of sound bar ect, without finding any sort of answer, so even though in my case i have only experienced it with vizio products , it appears to be not just because its a vizio. I considered buying a receiver and hooking it up that way until i saw people having similar issues trying that also. As a test i did hook the soundbar up to a TV in another room using hdmi Arc...worked perfectly first time as it should.My old bar is currently hooked up to the same tv with arc in a spare room, i will not replace my qd-oled monitor with a tv for gaming. I have tried switching HDMI ports on the GPU, same issue. Any help would be massively appreciated.

soundbars are ment for TVs or any other home entertainment options, like blueray/xbox/ps...etc
hdmi is display with sound as an addon on PC

you could try this workaround
open custom resolution utility
once you open it, scroll there to your soundbar (display),
under extension blocks you can configure speaker setup/audio formats
you will need to change something there...like add 96kHz option...shouldnt really matter, then close CRU with OK button and run restart64.exe
it will update windows registry for your soundbar with edid override, so windows wont be using edid from your soundbar, but it will read it from registry

it should technicaly work even after reboot, but if your soundbar has multiple display profiles (edids), then you will need to configure those aswell
so open CRU with still working edid profile and click export button to save it as .bin file

now lets say you did all above, you reboot and it wont be working like it should (display id changed), then open CRU, select you soundbar there which would probably now have different display name/id and then click import button to load working edid, close CRU with OK button and run restart64.exe
windows registry will now contain both eddid overrides for both soundbar display profiles

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Oct 11, 2022
soundbars are ment for TVs or any other home entertainment options, like blueray/xbox/ps...etc
hdmi is display with sound as an addon on PC

you could try this workaround
open custom resolution utility
once you open it, scroll there to your soundbar (display),
under extension blocks you can configure speaker setup/audio formats
you will need to change something there...like add 96kHz option...shouldnt really matter, then close CRU with OK button and run restart64.exe
it will update windows registry for your soundbar with edid override, so windows wont be using edid from your soundbar, but it will read it from registry

it should technicaly work even after reboot, but if your soundbar has multiple display profiles (edids), then you will need to configure those aswell
so open CRU with still working edid profile and click export button to save it as .bin file

now lets say you did all above, you reboot and it wont be working like it should (display id changed), then open CRU, select you soundbar there which would probably now have different display name/id and then click import button to load working edid, close CRU with OK button and run restart64.exe
windows registry will now contain both eddid overrides for both soundbar display profiles
Awesome!!! Thank you very much!!!! I will give that a shot this weekend. 96hz.....I wonder if it because i am running display port to my monitor is why I cant seem to pass through the audio to output as hdmi to the soundbar? I do have a separate hdmi input that is not eARC and as i understand it that port only works on tv eARC or ARC anyway. I have my monitor set to 144hz hdr10 if that matters at? I havent been able to find info either way on if my monitor can even pass through audio in that way like tvs but i wanted to test it anyway. Disadvantage I have in running hdmi to monitor to soundbar that way is the monitors hdmi ports are 2.0 which limits me to 100hz