Soundblaster/ethernet card IRQ conflicts

G

HI,

I have an Asus A7V Rev 1.02 motherboard, 1 G Athlon, 256M Ram, TnT2-Ultra video card, linksys 10/100 ethernet card, and a soundblaster live mp3 sound card. Im running NT 4.0 SP6a with IE 5.5sp1. My internet and email lock up, Im told, and it appears,that its an IRQ conflict between my Soundblaster Live and Linksys cards. I've tried changing the IRQ settings and putting the soundblaster and ethernet cards in different slots, didnt work. Is there anyone who has a similar set up that has had any luck with their IRQ settings?? Does anyone know which card of the above can share IRQ's without conflict??

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

maxdog92

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You must be lying, because VIA chipsets have no allocation problems. I have been told this by at least 5 well-voiced members of this forum. Now, seriously, did you try setting PNP OS-NO in BIOS?

Suicide is painless...........

G

My bios defaults to non plug and play os. I dont have any USB devices either. Im sure it must be something easy to fix this but Ive tried a bunch of different IRQ configurations and cant seem to keep the two from conflicting.

Any thoughts??

G

This is a common issue. Have you loaded the VIA 4in1 drivers? Have you reserved IRQ5 in your BIOS? Are you running on the ATA100 controller or the standard IDE? What BIOS rev are you on?

There are a number of posts on how to build your system with the VIA chipsets. Basics are:

Upgrade BIOS to latest functional rev (A7V is either 1006 or 1007)
Reserve IRQ5 in BIOS for SB
Remove all cards but video
Build base OS
Upgrade/install ATA100 driver
Add remaining PCI cards
Install 4in1 drivers
Install card drivers
Disable SB16 Emulator

Good luck!

-bumble

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sound like a weird VIA problem, these only pop up every once in a while on selected configurations. It took me a long time to figure it out on my last system, so I can sympathise, but my main reason for this response is to keep your post up to date, so that it stands a reasonable chance of being answered by someone else.

Suicide is painless...........

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The SBLive should be in PCI slot #3. The network card can be in slot #2 (if promise is disabled) or slot 5 or slot4. Doesn't matter. Just make sure nothing is in slot #1

G

Thanks Bumble,

I'll give it a try, maybe its the soundblaster 16 emulator thats the problem. It wants to use a different IRQ than the card itself, which is the same IRQ as my Linksys card.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks

maxdog92

G

Hey Bumble,

Thanks for the help! Im going to redo my system but I have one question, How do I disable the SB16 Emulator in NT?

Thanks

maxdog92