Soundcard - how to determine it?

I have to run a soundcard fixed to a mainboard (i.e. not to a slot - excuse my
language ignorance) and I've no information about this mainboard and, what
follows, I can't find this soundcards manufacturer, it's name, symbol. Do you
know any program that could give me this information? I could find drivers for
it then.
Regards

Jacek

"quez" <quez@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> I have to run a soundcard fixed to a mainboard (i.e. not to a slot -
excuse my
> language ignorance) and I've no information about this mainboard and, what
> follows, I can't find this soundcards manufacturer, it's name, symbol. Do
you
> know any program that could give me this information? I could find drivers
for
> it then.
> Regards
>
> Jacek

The soundcard will be part of the motherboard's chipset. You shouldn't need
a driver for it unless you are running something other than windows, like
linux or similar. But if you're doing that, it would be better to buy a
cheap soundblaster card. If you are running windows, go to the control
panel, system, hardware, device manager, and look under sound devices
section to see what is in there. It's possible you might want to upgrade
the drivers, but they should ALREADY be installed, if the computer is
working at all. That is, unless the sound has been disabled in the
motherboard's BIOS. You can enter the BIOS setup screens and see if the
sound is turned off. If turned on, then windows should find the soundcard
and load drivers for it. -Dave

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:53:12 +0200, quez <quez@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

| I have to run a soundcard fixed to a mainboard (i.e. not to a slot - excuse my
| language ignorance) and I've no information about this mainboard and, what
| follows, I can't find this soundcards manufacturer, it's name, symbol. Do you
| know any program that could give me this information? I could find drivers for
| it then.

I'm guessing you mean you are using "on-board" sound. What you need
is information about your motherboard manufacturer and model. Try a
program such as Belarc Advisor. Once you've installed that, run the
program and it should give you the information under "System Model."
You can get it here:

Once you know your motherboard brand and model, you should be able to
go to their site and download updated drivers.

Good luck!

Larc

In article <ccnban$582$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>, quez says...
> I have to run a soundcard fixed to a mainboard (i.e. not to a slot - excuse my
> language ignorance) and I've no information about this mainboard and, what
> follows, I can't find this soundcards manufacturer, it's name, symbol. Do you
> know any program that could give me this information? I could find drivers for
> it then.
> Regards

Belarc Advisor or Aida32.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...

Go to run and type in dxdiag That will provide all system information.