[SOLVED] Soundcard or DAC Amplifier?

stevenh777

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
Hi for my PC build I have a pair of Razer Nommo Speakears and the Sennheiser Game One headset. I want to get either a sound card/dac amplifier.

But the hardware will need to have enough ports to I can plug both my headset and speakers at the same time, so its easy for me to switch rather than pulling some plugs off.

So any recommendations? I honestly don't know what is the difference between soundcards and dac.

Solution
So getting an external DAC is useless if i'm only going to be using it for listening/gaming on my PC?

Regarding sound cards do you think their would be a significant difference when listening to music/gaming in comparison to a motherboard manufactured in 2018?

Now, IF you actually hear interference/noise, you might want to get an external device be it DAC or sound card.

If you wan't to experience better surround experience for games and movies - get a sound card. One with Dolby features.

guys here went over some features of DACs, if you don't need them (IMHO you don't) then DAC will be like an extension cable for you. Useless extra box on the desk. Quality-wise, define 'significant difference'? 90% of people won't hear...
  1. ANY sound card has a DAC.
  2. No point in external DAC for gaming gear.

USB DACs became popular because people like to organize their music on the computer with software such as iTunes and Windows Media Center and play it on their stereo system, etc. Absolutely not needed for listening and gaming on your PC but purists maintain that external USB DACs provide superior conversion and better sound quality. Highly speculative presumption, doubt you can actually tell the difference, especially with modern motherboards (mine is of 2018 and even has amplifier built in).

Sound cards, on the other hand, provide a lot of different hardware+software features like surround (Dolby, THX, etc). So if you feel like tasting them, get a sound blaster.

stevenh777

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
  1. ANY sound card has a DAC.
  2. No point in external DAC for gaming gear.
USB DACs became popular because people like to organize their music on the computer with software such as iTunes and Windows Media Center and play it on their stereo system, etc. Absolutely not needed for listening and gaming on your PC but purists maintain that external USB DACs provide superior conversion and better sound quality. Highly speculative presumption, doubt you can actually tell the difference, especially with modern motherboards (mine is of 2018 and even has amplifier built in).

Sound cards, on the other hand, provide a lot of different hardware+software features like surround (Dolby, THX, etc). So if you feel like tasting them, get a sound blaster.
So getting an external DAC is useless if i'm only going to be using it for listening/gaming on my PC?

Regarding sound cards do you think their would be a significant difference when listening to music/gaming in comparison to a motherboard manufactured in 2018?

D

Deleted member 14196

lol, get a good one and you can tell the difference if you use good headphones, with an external DAC and AMP, you don't hear any internally generated electronic noises

for the OP, a $99 Schiit Fulla would do you. You can plug in your powered speakers in the back and your headphones in the front. it's an all in one DAC/AMP, and very nice. I have one and love and use it every day.

"Total Flexibility For Your Desktop
Fulla 2 is a complete DAC/Amp in a single tiny case. Plug Fulla 2 into virtually any USB port, connect your headphones and/or powered monitors, and you’re set for great music. But that’s only the start.
  • Use it as an amp. Connect your phone (or any other analog source) to the convenient front jack.
  • Use it as a preamp. Connect to powered monitors or speaker amps using the variable outputs on the back.
  • Use it as a DAC. Connect to an external preamp or processor with the fixed 2V line outs on the back, or use the variable outputs for convenient volume control as well.
  • Use it with phones, tablets, or computers with low-powered USB ports. We’ve included a second USB port for power input. Plug in your phone charger (or any other 5V DC source with micro-USB output) and Fulla 2 tells your source it doesn’t need any power."

External DAC box no brainer if u can afford them, and by the look of things, very affordable these days.

As per your desire to be able to switch speaker/headphone via a simple switch, this feature maybe tricky to come by. Headphones and speakers have different impedances problem #1.

D

Deleted member 14196

External DAC box no brainer if u can afford them, and by the look of things, very affordable these days.

As per your desire to be able to switch speaker/headphone via a simple switch, this feature maybe tricky to come by. Headphones and speakers have different impedances problem #1.
read my post, the Fulla does this fine, has preamp out on back for powered monitors and headphone input in front.

"Total Flexibility For Your Desktop
Fulla 2 is a complete DAC/Amp in a single tiny case. Plug Fulla 2 into virtually any USB port, connect your headphones and/or powered monitors, and you’re set for great music. But that’s only the start.
  • Use it as an amp. Connect your phone (or any other analog source) to the convenient front jack.
  • Use it as a preamp. Connect to powered monitors or speaker amps using the variable outputs on the back.
  • Use it as a DAC. Connect to an external preamp or processor with the fixed 2V line outs on the back, or use the variable outputs for convenient volume control as well.
  • Use it with phones, tablets, or computers with low-powered USB ports. We’ve included a second USB port for power input. Plug in your phone charger (or any other 5V DC source with micro-USB output) and Fulla 2 tells your source it doesn’t need any power."

lol, get a good one and you can tell the difference if you use good headphones, with an external DAC and AMP, you don't hear any internally generated electronic noises
We're talking gaming gear here. I don't hear any noise at max volume on my HyperX headphones with what my motherboard has. I very much doubt the OP will get noises on a discrete sound card. All I'm saying is as a gamer, he would much more benefit from a sound card.

Now, IF you actually hear interference/noise, you might want to get an external device be it DAC or sound card.

If you wan't to experience better surround experience for games and movies - get a sound card. One with Dolby features.

guys here went over some features of DACs, if you don't need them (IMHO you don't) then DAC will be like an extension cable for you. Useless extra box on the desk. Quality-wise, define 'significant difference'? 90% of people won't hear subtle changes, 5% will think they do. IMHO. Unless you have a really low-budget motherboard. Because I can't hear a difference of $100-200 headphones on a good motherboard ($200) vs external sound card or DAC.

Solution