Source Engine Being Used To Create Animated Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Source isn't so bad, it's definitely one of the longer lasting engines out there.
It also runs well on virtually any modern system.

Making a movie out of it will be interesting to say the least.
I'm going to see the movie when it comes out, just out of curiosity anyway.. :)

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
roffle it stays the same but the world upgrade the graphics , valve get me HL3. pcs cry engine looks good but is far from excellent, they need to optimize it allot. i am keeping my money on the next unreal engine, they are the only one good enough to compete vs the valve engine. (graphics/performance) anyone can make a insane graphical capable engine few can make it run on low specs and still make it look amazing.

G

[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]Source? CryEngine would seem a much better choice.[/citation]

Now see...that's exactly the kind of thing for which the CryEngine should be used. Not for games, of which they have had only mediocre entries.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
WOW! If you can watch a movie and the play a game in the exact same area, that would be amazing.
In fact, companies can make twice the profit, because the game "map" is already made.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
From the "visionary" director of 9? That movie was boring as hell. I really thought it was going to be pretty decent. I hope this movie is much more entertaining, aside from the horribly dated engine.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Since its not required to render real-time, about any engine with the feature set / render quality needed can be employed, source is nothing special with today standards. Would not be surprised if it was handed out for free/cheaply as this will give valve some free news!

inerax

Distinguished
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Who else here, did not crap their pants?[/citation]

I might have crapped a little bit.

Not because it is the source engine but because it is going to open the door for better engines to be used for the same thing!

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I guess if that is the look that you are going for it will be fine. Personally I would use what ever engine is used by the Diablo 3 cinematics. Of course they may be trade offs using one or the other in terms of workflow, licensing etc.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'm too biased against source to comment. However it is interesting to consider this for CryEngine 3 and perhaps Unreal Engine 4 as PC gaming hardware keeps advancing. Movie tie-ins become playable..

OR games just keep getting more cinematic in a sense of fuck it I'm not interesting in 'playing' and I'd rather just watch a 12 hour long movie with hundreds of dynamic points (but no main character deaths or bugs screwing up suspension of disbelief).

Guys, I don't think that the engine is what's really important here (not that I wouldn't like to see a better one in use). IE they could use ridiculous AA, tessellation, and such because it does not need to be rendered in real-time. With game engines, they could probably get very high quality animation and it probably wouldn't be as expensive as run-of-the-mill CGI and such.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Source might be dated but at least its still around. Its a shame no one releases tools for thier games anymore. Wish ther was a BF3 map maker/ mod tool .

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]true dat.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wM4k06rZeYxD[/citation]
If you want to advocate CryEngine then find some example that shows its full capabilities, and not machinima that looks as if done with Unreal 2.5.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Love all the dated engine comments... what does it matter what engine its running on if the story is good and keeps you entertained. I still watch movies that are before we even had CG....

[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Love all the dated engine comments... what does it matter what engine its running on if the story is good and keeps you entertained. I still watch movies that are before we even had CG....[/citation]

Two words: Progress, advancement. Just because an older movie can entertain you does not mean that other people shouldn't want to see more and more advanced technologically movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.