South Korean Banks Accuse Newegg, ASI Of Ponzi Scheme

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Dude, my reply was to @thundervore, not you. I did read what you wrote, and had nothing to say except that people should always shop around, which I already said.

I just bought stuff from Newegg within the last month, and they had the best price I could find on it. So, not all their prices are marked up.

I don't get what's your problem, though. Maybe you feel their reputation is unjustified, but there are plenty of places I don't buy from, because their prices generally suck. Nobody is forcing you to buy from Newegg or preventing you from shopping around, so why rage over it? Just use a price engine, like pcpartpicker, and buy whoever's cheapest.

FatalRob

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
My bad??? Said you replied to me sorry!im not raging either,just seems some of your comments came over the wrong way suggesting I’m a sensitive buyer and checkout pc part picker..I know about pc part picker and all the other price comparison sites.i was just stating from MY experience that “select” items are marked up and I can prove it!have a nice day!

ccrider_22

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Didn't know about the "China Syndrome" thing with the 'egg', always bought all my stuff from them till they started selling DOA drives without a paid return label. Got tired of the good deal souring in my mouth, having to foot the bill to send back a bad drive.

ObamasBFF

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017

I had no idea Newegg had sold out, but it makes sense on why their customer service has gotten incredibly poor lately.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

So simply because Newegg is 'Chinese-owned' you will not be giving them the benefit of the doubt? How racist of you, to put a pin in it.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt because I have never had a problem with Newegg.... always got my tech products on time, in good condition, and they always worked.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not racist - statist. I think James would have no problem for someone of Chinese descent to own it (to be honest, I never knew anything about the ethnicity of its former owners - maybe they were - it just never mattered to me).

The concern most/all of us have is of Chinese state ownership, where Newegg becomes another pawn in China's efforts towards economic world domination.

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
All it takes is some head of purchasing at NewEgg who is wanting kickbacks to write up some false PO's. l wouldn't be surprised if it was it just a few guys near the top, not at the top, who engaged in this.

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Some of that is more-or-less-standard retail practice. Many items have a list price of as much as double the typical street price, at Newegg and elsewhere. I recently bought a pair of headphones (not from NE) for less than $60; they list for $150, but don't sell anywhere reputable for more than $100. So what I've caught Newegg doing on occasion (and this is not a recent development) is quoting manufacturer's list, or even more, in calculating the discount for a sale, when they've never sold the item in question for the "regular" price. But yeah, one's got to be careful. I've also seen Shell Shockers that aren't actually discounted at all.

dgk1953

Prominent
Oct 25, 2017
Eh...I'll still buy from them unless they pull shady stuff on me. I don't think their shipping is anywhere as fast as it used to be but still reasonable. Amazon? Higher prices,plus sales tax in my State. Ordered a mobo from them about a year go for a build and it was shipped ONLY in it's mobo box with a shipping sticker slapped on it. No second box,no padding nothing. I can't believe it worked but it did. I ordered a WD HD from them that was YEARS old and being sold as new. It works but NOT new.

I don't buy any tech stuff from Amazon anymore,just odds and ends stuff.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I do filter them out and only select Newegg store, but the same item will be on Amazon for less or maybe a $1 more with no hassle return. I remember reading lots of reviews saying they rejected RMA motherboards due to bent CPU pins, never believed it until it happened to a friend. Something happened along the way and I just want the onld New back. I too remember ordering stuff and getting it the next day too because it shipped from NJ and I'm right next door to NJ. I hope they pull through and come out on top and go back to their old ways.

Oh. side note to anyone reading. The also own Rosewill which is why Rosewill products are advertised heavily on their site.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Was it a warehouse deal or from a marketplace seller? There are lots of people selling used/refurb drives as new, but I've never heard of Amazon doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.