Space engineers runs awful

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I recently got space engineers, which my pc is far above the requirements, and it isn't even playable. Specs:
Amd Athlon quad core 3.7 ghz
sapphire radeon r9 270x 2 gig vram
8 gigs of ram

To load a world (already created world) it takes more than 10 minutes. When I spawn in i get less than 10 fps, aka a slideshow. I checked my task manager while playing, and the game is eating up 90%+ of my 8 gigs of ram. Any fixes? thanks

Solution
How heavy is the video card load?

Try to close everything you can to free up memory.

It is early access, I am sure they are working to fix some of these issues.

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

Recommended is 8 gigs. And I asked for a solution not this. I have buddies who run it on 2010 mid range builds.

Well, I am sure you will get lots of help shooting down suggestions without even looking into them.

Your video card meets the requirements for sure. The cpu may or may not. What is the exact model?

You know that cpu clock speed is not comparable across different architectures. This is why they list quad core(to rule out the dual core with HT) i5 2 @ 2.5 ghz (or AMD equivalent). AMD has many 4 core cpus that have every 2 core module share parts of the core. This can lead to reduced performance when 4 threads try to use that part on all 4 cores. Even the older Phenom series did not have that issue. An AMD A6-3670k(quad core 2.7ghz) may perform worse then previous generation chips. They are both entry to mid level.

You can see here for a cpu chart to somewhat cross reference various cpus.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

I have a first generation i5(4 core 4 thread) @ 2.66 with a 3.2 turbo and would most likely not even try that game on it. Companies simply do not generally give accurate requirements.

for the minimum requirements.
NOTE: The minimum requirements are sufficient to run the game but without planetary features.

I would recommend monitoring cpu and video card usage and memory just in case. the early access game Grav says it will run on 4 gigabytes(small planets) and 8 for everything else. I have run out of memory with 8 and even with an i7 @ 4.4 ghz(well above requirements) the game still has pretty bad frame rates in places. It is all part of the early access fun. Turning down some settings may help things.

maxhaslach

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

It's not CPU, while playing I never reach over 70% usage, but my ram is at 90%+. I think the game is poorly optimized.