Space or Pirate Sim??

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi,
Looking for space sims like Freespace and pirate sim like Trade winds..Preferably..Newer games with good graphics, No hardcore economy like Patrician games just casual sim. I already played, Sid Meyers pirates and all the Tradewinds games..Thanks in advance..

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Looks perfect!!! Very "Freespacey".. :sol: Do you know anything thats already released though?..Ive been craving for these kind of games for months..Most of the games today are FPS..im getting a little sick of it.. :??:

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
The X series games - there's an X mega pack on STEAM with X, X2, X3, X3:Terran Conflict and LOADS of tweaks and extra missions. REally huge, open-ended space games, with a very active community and attentive developers. I urge you to give them a go, especially X3:TC.

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

Ive seen this game in one of my magazines. Its for X3 reunion I think. I never thought that this was a space sim since the poster looks like a space shooter. But ama check it out.. :D

Nope. Haven't really read much about Evochron Mercenary. I know there is trading involved and of course you can upgrade your ship for trading and combat.

The X series is a pretty good space combat simulation, but there is a steep learning curve. I actually started playing X2 - The Threat again. Lots of space combat and trading is involved. You can build a vast industrial empire and build a massive fleet that are controlled remotely. Story is rather weak, most people like it for it's sandbox appeal where you can basically ignore the story and just do whatever you want to do.

I would say the learning curve to play any one of these games is about 12 hours.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
On the X forums there's a recurring trend of people writing "dead is dead" or "DiD" stories - dramatised versions of actual games they play, where they kill off the character when the player character dies.

To give you an idea of the variation in X3:TC, I've seen DiD stories from the same start (there are different standard backstories for characters to start with) which inclkuded the following:

1) Player ended up with a network of asteroid mines, factories, trading ships, a personal warfleet and his own shipyard having never fired a shot himself (only ever used computer controlled ships in combat, as in "green wing, attack that pirate!" and so on.

2) Player was a single-ship pilot, becoming a bounty hunter for the police and upgrading and re-arming his own ship. Only things he ever purchased were a massive cargo liner to use as a dry-docked loot-hold. Was eventually hired by the military as an assassin (actually part of the plot missions that he creatively described).

3) Player was a trader who became a banker/diplomat, making his fortune playing the various alien races off against each other. This one went wrong when he inadvertanly started a war in the wrong sector, and watched most of his prized assets become so much collateral damage.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
2 words - Eve Online.
Space and you can be a pirate ;) Yarrrrr
(A lot of peoples spaceships in Eve are fuelled by the tears of raging carebears)
You get a free 2 week trial or 3 week if invited by a friend. Its not for eveyone tho...

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for the very detailed info..Im gonna purchase this game this weekends..I hope I enjoy it cause these kind of games is really addictive once got hook..I will now conquer space..but how bout the seas?? Any good pirate sim? Like Sid Meyer Pirates? I tried some Patrician games but its too hardcore for me..

mwohrlin

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

I was thinking the same thing. I got ganked many o' times by pirates in eve online. Awesome game. But has a Huge learning curve. And it is not for the solo player.