Question Spare-Parts PC trouble

Luke Hamilton

Honorable
May 31, 2015
Hello, Friends

Today I put together a PC out of spare parts the PSU and the case I got for free, GPU was a part of my previous PC and was working fine as well as RAM, a few things I think might be causing trouble are the VGA cable/ PSU (as the guy told me he was beating on his PC, specifically on the PSU sooo... yeah. top that off with the burning smell that came out of the PSU the first time I turned it on and I think most likely this is what's causing the issue (though it's common when it hasn't been in use for a while). I also uploaded a video to youtube to help you better understand the problem Im dealing with thank you very much for your help and sorry for bad English <3 specs below.:

MB: ASUS H61M-K
CPU: Intel Core I7 3770K 3.4 GHz
RAM: 2 x 4Gb DDR3 Elite CL999.24
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 Zotac
PSU: PC Power & Cooling ModXStream Pro Series 600 Watt 80+ Semi-Modular Active PFC Performance Grade ATX PC Power Supply
SSD: TeamGroup GX1 120GB 2.5 SATA 3.0

Also come to think of it this does remind me of chipset problems but I'm not really sure
Things I've tried:
* Removing MB battery and chipset waiting 20 min and putting them back
*connecting VGA cable directly into the MB
*Checking if all ports were connected to the PSU
*plugging in Linux machine via USB (no response as if never connected)

Video link Below:
View: https://youtu.be/83JbOUOfn3o

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I'm taking apart the whole PC and rebuilding it all over again maybe that'll fix the issue

Significant difference, that.

So, the issue could be BIOS related, and could be PSU related.
The burning smell "could" be dust burning off, smokey smell probably not so much. Think I would pursue a PSU first and hope for the best. Obviously if the BIOS isn't correct that will be an issue.

Reactions: Luke Hamilton

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
that motherboard you're trying to use doesn't even have the correct socket for 7700K.

i7 7700K is LGA 1151 .. the motherboard is LGA1150 ... it may look similar at a first glance but LGA1150 has completely different power delivery.

To be honest i'm quite baffled how you even managed to jamm the socket tray closed with that cpu.

Reactions: Luke Hamilton

Luke Hamilton

Honorable
May 31, 2015
Significant difference, that.

So, the issue could be BIOS related, and could be PSU related.
The burning smell "could" be dust burning off, smokey smell probably not so much. Think I would pursue a PSU first and hope for the best. Obviously if the BIOS isn't correct that will be an issue.
Exactly what I'm doing completely took apart the PSU it was chalk full of dust cleaned it out, did some evaluation transistors were fine circuit board looked fine as well nothing smelled burnt so I'm guessing it's BIOS related either that or the chipset gave in that case I took out the MB battery and chipset again by the time I assemble it all the memory the board has should be gone sooo... wish me luck <3

Luke Hamilton

Honorable
May 31, 2015
that motherboard you're trying to use doesn't even have the correct socket for 7700K.

i7 7700K is LGA 1151 .. the motherboard is LGA1150 ... it may look similar at a first glance but LGA1150 has completely different power delivery.

To be honest i'm quite baffled how you even managed to jamm the socket tray closed with that cpu.
dude it's not 7700K Im a poor boy the CPU is I7-3770

Luke Hamilton

Honorable
May 31, 2015

OOPS :D I just noticed I did indeed make a typo it's not 7700 :D I just made a mistake sorry about that

Reactions: Bazzy 505

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
welp guys after a few hours I got to the bottom of it and you're not gona believe this turns out the CMOS battery aka mobo battery was dead :'D

:ROFLMAO: sometimes it's the simplest of things. Makes you wanna crave for the simpler times when you could chuck out cmos battery and all that would affect it would be the RTC. But than again i don't miss those rows of jumpers and switches on motherboards.