[SOLVED] SPARK in USB PORT PC TURNS on and off over and over again

aznkorboi

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Sooo...

I'm an idiot.

I was repairing a broken USB port on my computer case with some metal tweezers WHILE the computer was on.

Then, I saw a small spark. My computer stayed on, but it was frozen. Mouse, keyboard, wasn't working. I shut off the computer.

NOW, the computer turns on for a second, makes a CLICK sound from the PSU, then turns off. Every time.

I'm so upset. I have an asus rog xi hero motherboard, a corsair 850w psu, and an NZXT 510 elite case...

I've tried literally everything except waiting. Reset CMOS, leave silver battery on motherboard out, unplugged everything but the motherboard and SSD. No other cables are plugged into the motherboard.

When the mobo is plugged in, there is power as in the RGB motherboard lights turn on. However, the second I press the Start (turn on) button on the motherboard, it turns on for literally a second, then turns off over and over again...

I'm so sad.. Anyone else with the same issue and know what to do aside from getting a new PSU and motherboard?
Thanks!

aznkorboi

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
For anyone keeping score... Just got a new PSU. The only thing connected to the motherboard is one stick of ram, CPU and cooler, as well as power cables. It does the same thing and starts for one second and shuts off.
My assumption as well as @USAFRet is that the spark must have traveled into the motherboard and fried a component. I'll report back after I get my motherboard.

Hopefully that's all it fried and my ram, GPU, and SSD are all safe.