SPDIF and digital coax... same thing?

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I'm looking into buying a new soundcard around christmas, definately with spdif out. my home theatre receiver thats in the same room as my computer has a digital coax input. You know, the kind that's like an "RCA-jack" connection. If I get a converter for 1/8" mini plug to RCA jack, will I be able to use sound card's SPDIF out to reciever's digital coax in? Are they the same type of signal?

[EDIT] I was just noticing when reading up on the card i'm planning on getting (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz), it's multi-function "versa-jack" has one function being "Digital out (1 & 2)". I assumed that was SPDIF... as i've read elsewhere the card offers SPDIF... it IS SPDIF, right? [/EDIT]

Another question, I'll need around 15 to 20 feet of cable to connect it, as the two devices are on opposite sides of the room. Is that long enough to cause sound quality to degrade?

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SP-DIF (Sony/Panasonic Digital InterFace) is the same as Digital Coaxial. You just need a high end RCA cable to connect SP-DIF out to Digital Coaxial In. No 1/8" minijack adapters, those would be for analog sound.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
From the picture of the TBSC card, the digital out on it appears to be a 1/8th inch minijack!

I was talking about not a converter cable from 1x 1/8th minijack to 2x RCA for analogue stereo, but 1x 1/8th minijack to 1x RCA for SPDIF/digital coax.

Does this work?

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wierd, er, OK. Well, I'm not certain if they used a non-standard plug for SP-DIF...

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/santacruz/indetail.asp" target="_new">Here</A> is specs of the TBSC from turtlebeach.com. That picture looks to me like the VersaJack, one of which's functions is "digital out" is 1/8th minijack.

Can anyone who owns a santa cruz verify that this is in fact SPDIF output?

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OH, hey, I remember Varsa-Jack from a review, it functions as either a digital or analog output based on how you set it! OK, it should come with it's own adapter then? Yes, it should work, I think you have to switch it from analog to digital in software though.

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Ya I saw on the TB website you have to change it's setting in drivers... it's as easy as a dropdown box though so it's no hassle. I'll email someone from TB and ask if it comes with its own adapter or not i guess.

-Col.Kiwi