Question Speaker noise when PC goes to sleep

yskasman

Reputable
Mar 20, 2016
I have 2.0 speakers plugged into the motherboard. (I use the motherboard's built-in soundcard) The speakers are plugged into a separate power outlet as it has it's own amp.

When my PC goes to sleep the speakers stay on (which I don't mind). As soon as the PC sleeps there is a audible hissing noise from the speakers.

I'm stumped on how to fix this issue. The only other way I could fix this was to use a separate soundcard but that is actually used somewhere else and I don't want to use it in this PC as this PC has a built in soundcard which sounds fine. I'm going to hate to spend an additional $50 for an additional sound card to get rid of the noise when the PC sleeps.

My motherboard is an Asus z170 pro gaming. I'm using Windows 10

I think it may be a grounding issue on the motherboard, but I've checked it and everything is fastened properly and it is properly installed in the case. Anybody have any ideas on what I can try?

have had this issue with nice monitor speakers(not display mounted speakers) and basic desktop speakers when the systems were powered down but the speakers were still on. usually it was a loose connection that caused it. the simplest solution i found was placing a strip of electrical tape over the 3mm input and then pushing the audio cable through it into the slot. this would stabilize the cable and hold it in a tighter fitting position that eliminated the background hiss or buzz. worth a try...