Question Speaker Positioning.

papalzru

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
Ive just bought a 5.1 surround sound and I am pretty clueless on how to have it setup for maximum effect. Mainly I'd like to know where is best to have all the speakers. I was going to mount the rear speakers in the corners of the room, where the wall meets the ceiling and have them pointed towards where people will sit, will this work or be too high and should the front speakers be the same height as the rear?

Thanks for any help

Cheers

kanewolf

Titan
OPTIMUM speaker positioning is at "ear level" when in the watching position. That usually means 3 to 4 fr high speaker pedestals. This also helps with the center channel, because the left and right speaker will be approximately the same height as the center channel. You want the three front speakers as similar as possible. That way when a sound starts on the left, progresses through the center channel and goes off screen on the right it doesn't "move" up and down 8 feet as it would if the front left/right speakers were up near the ceiling.
I like my rear speakers at a similar height, but many people mount them higher. Rear speakers mostly provide ambient sounds, so they are less critical than fronts.

Reactions: papalzru