Question Speakers and headset at the same time?

Sep 13, 2024
I'm having some trouble figuring out how to best get my speakers and my headset connected at the same time.

Both connect with a 3.5mm jack and the only way I have found works is if you connect the speakers to the pc and then connect the headset to the speakers.
Now the question is, is the sound the same as if the headset was connected directly to the pc or worse? Maybe someone who understands audio can help here.
Also I read that connecting your headset to your speakers can damage the headset or something, is this true? I would really like to avoid doing that as the headset is new.

Also one big thing is if I have the headset connected via the speakers I have to constantly unplug the headset when I want to use the speakers and then plug the headset in again when I want that, something that I imagine can wear the jack out.

Windows also seems really weird about recognizing when a audio device gets connected. For example if I plug the speakers in first and then the headset to the front panel, it will only give me the prompt for the speakers and do nothing for the headset. And it's the same thing if I did it the other way around and connected the headset first.
And actually if I unplug the audio device that I got the prompt for the first time I plugged it in, when I plug it in again I get no prompt and it doesn't work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Now the question is, is the sound the same as if the headset was connected directly to the pc or worse?
What sort of speakers are we looking at and what sort of sound card are you working with? Usually high end speakers will have their own circuitry and not act as a pass through while lower quality speakers and even keyboards might have pass through or very low quality circuitry in them to dull down the audio experience.

If you're using the onboard audio off your motherboard, please state the make and model of the motherboard, it's BIOS version and the OS you're working with. Please include your audio equipment as well.

Sep 13, 2024
Now the question is, is the sound the same as if the headset was connected directly to the pc or worse?
What sort of speakers are we looking at and what sort of sound card are you working with? Usually high end speakers will have their own circuitry and not act as a pass through while lower quality speakers and even keyboards might have pass through or very low quality circuitry in them to dull down the audio experience.

If you're using the onboard audio off your motherboard, please state the make and model of the motherboard, it's BIOS version and the OS you're working with. Please include your audio equipment as well.
The speakers is the Logitech THX Z623 Speaker System with Subwoofer.
The headset is the Corsair Virtuoso Pro and the motherboard is the Gigabyte Aorus B650E Elite X AX Ice. The BIOS version is the latest F34B and I am on Windows 11 Pro.

And yes I got the speakers plugged into the motherboard directly, specifically the "line out" jack.

I believe that is everything that is relevant.