Question Special Function Keys not working

Apr 6, 2020
I had to have a 'professional' check my laptop for viruses. He said he found none. After I got it back, the 'special function' options no longer works. I have to hold the FN key every time I turn the volume up or change the screen brightness. I cannot seem to figure out how to fix it. I did reinstall the TOSHIBA function key driver. I have checked the setting by pressing the F2 button as it is turning on and I have gone through the TOSHIBA system settings and they are both set to Special Function Setting. Any other suggestions, before I lose my mind?
He deleted Norton Anti Virus as he said it was one of the worst. He installed only 'defraggler' and I ran it. Thoughts?

Apr 6, 2020
Have you tried FN + Esc?

If that doesn't work, boot in BIOS.
Turn off your laptop. Turn it on and press F2 key repetitively as soon as the Toshiba begins booting until the BIOS menu screen appears.

Use the arrow keys to navigate in the BIOS. Search for the option: HotKey Mode. If it's enabled, disable it. If it's disabled, enable it. If you did that navigatie to Exit and make sure you save & exit.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020
That doesn't fix it. I have tried the BIOS way a couple times and I tried the TOSHIBA system settings. Both are set to 'Special Function'. There isn't a 'Hot Key' setting that I can find. FN and ESC don't work either.
Any other thoughts? Google only has options for people wanting to use the FN button every time. I have taken that info and tried to reverse it to no avail.
Angi

Have you tried FN + Esc?

If that doesn't work, boot in BIOS.
Turn off your laptop. Turn it on and press F2 key repetitively as soon as the Toshiba begins booting until the BIOS menu screen appears.

Use the arrow keys to navigate in the BIOS. Search for the option: HotKey Mode. If it's enabled, disable it. If it's disabled, enable it. If you did that navigatie to Exit and make sure you save & exit.