Specific CD-to-computer question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimed03

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hi all,

I have spent the past several days combing through endless blogs, posts, and explanations on the subject of copying CDs to digital format... and have learned enough to know that I don't know enough! Really, I just have a very simple question with a straightforward set of parameters. I need advice from someone who knows enough to help me resolve it!

The question of course is: in what format, and with what software should I copy my CD collection to my hard drive? I know by now that the answer is a matter of wide debate. So to narrow it down, here are my parameters:

- I have a small collection, approximately 100 CDs. No, that's not a typo... I know the audiophiles out there have collections in the thousands, but I listen to the radio a lot and just buy what I want to hear "on demand."
- I don't want to buy additional hard drives. This almost certainly rules out lossless formats... right?
- At the same time, I flatter myself that I CAN hear the difference between a quality playback and more lossy ones, so if I have to use a lossy format, I'd like it to be above 192k... maybe as high as 320k.
- While I can hear the quality difference, the reality is that I'll probably never own more than a mid-range player system. Of course, today's high-end system is tomorrow's mid-range, so with that in mind I want a fairly decent recording.
- I will almost certainly want to be able to download them into MP3 files so I can play them in my car or office. However, I have not yet invested in the hardware for that, so I'm still somewhat open to alternate suggestions.
- I want to be sure that, as the industry changes formats (5, 10, 25 years from now), I can easily transfer to the new format and also not kick myself later for using a very lossy format that gives mediocre playback in said future format. These two reasons are why I am not simply going straight to MP3.
- I would strongly prefer to NOT have to keep the CDs afterward, for storage space reasons. I have a backup external drive, so I'm not worried about losing the collection. But I won't have a bit-perfect master to go back to later.
- Finally, I'm no recording expert. I downloaded Audiograbber and still don't know what 90% of the options mean. Well, maybe 85%. And I really don't need to. But this means I do need something fairly easy to understand.

For someone who didn't know much more than "the CD goes into the little slot" about a week ago, I've come a long way. At least enough to be able to clearly state (I hope) my desired end result. But I could really use straightforward advice on the solution! Thoughts?

Brian

There's a difference between music lovers and audiophiles. Music lovers generally tend to have large music collections. Audiophiles generally spend money on the highend equipment so that they can listen to their audio collect whether it is large or small.

If you get rid of your CDs then that will constitute piracy because you no longer own the original music format that you purchased.

Going from one lossy format to another lossy format will degrade the sound quality simply due to the fact that 'lossy codec' throws out audio data to compress the file. Different codecs throws out different types of sound data, therefore it will never sound as good as the previous format.

For example, if you have a MP3 file, then convert it to WMA, then to OGG, each format will sound progressively worse because each codec uses different algorithms to encode music.

If you want to keep up with new formats, then you need keep your original CDs so that you have a 'master reference' and you'll need not worry about sound degradation going from one format to another. Besides, as I stated above encoding your music, then selling off the CDs consitutes piracy.

The alternative is to convert your CDs to a lossless codec like FLAC, but then you will need to add more storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.