[SOLVED] Specific USB ports stopped working

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
My motherboard is an MSI B450 Gaming Plus. I've been using this build for at least a year without issue. It has 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.1 gen1, and 2 x USB 3.1 gen2 ports on the rear panel.

Yesterday I bought a new webcam (Logitech Streamcam), and plugged it into one of the USB 3.1 gen2 ports. It was detected, and then disappeared. Since then, nothing is detected on either of the USB 3.1 gen2 ports. If I plug the camera into any other port though, it works.

I have installed the latest chipset drivers and updated to the latest BIOS, and I am stumped as to what could be causing this. It's worth mentioning there is some power in these ports, because when I plug in my Xbox One controller to charge, the LED on the charging cable turns yellow (meaning there's power but it's not charging, afaik).

Any help would be appreciated :)

Solution
Go to Device Manager, uninstall the USB Host Controller and reinstall it
or, Disable USB Selective Suspend power saving option
In Win10, there is battery-saver mode, don't use it, and then check usb ports.

ak195

Distinguished

Solution

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

Thank you! After doing that the USB ports seem to work now, but they're supposed to be USB 3.1 gen2, and I think they're being run as USB 2.0. When I plug a USB 3.0 device into them, Windows shows me a message that says "This device can run faster if plugged into a USB 3.0 port." I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. ^^;

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018
Thank you! After doing that the USB ports seem to work now, but they're supposed to be USB 3.1 gen2, and I think they're being run as USB 2.0. When I plug a USB 3.0 device into them, Windows shows me a message that says "This device can run faster if plugged into a USB 3.0 port." I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. ^^;
Do you have a USB 3 drive? plug it in the port in question and see if it is operating at USB 2 speeds

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
Do you have a USB 3 drive? plug it in the port in question and see if it is operating at USB 2 speeds
I was super busy for awhile there and didn't get around to trying this yet. However, I gave my camera to my dad to test it; he ran OBS on Linux and was able to get 60 FPS on a USB 3.0 port. After he returned it to me, I plugged it in to my computer. Now, the error message has disappeared and I can set the camera to 60 FPS. I have no idea why it's working now, but I hope it stays that way. Should it occur again, I will try to plug a USB 3 drive into the port to see if it's only operating at USB 2.0 speeds. Thank you! :)

Reactions: thefxgamingrules

TRENDING THREADS