Question Specs wise what looks better, the Raspberry Pi 4 or the Odroid N2?

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
I'm just curious which one of these is better. I know the Raspberry pi 4 is out in the wild. But in the mean what are your thoughts between the two?

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
It would depend on your application. It's a matter of "the right tool for the job". I have tasks for Arduino Nano's (<USD$10), for Rpi's (<USD$50), for old i386 (<$100) to computers costing over USD$1000 for 3-D CAD work and video editing. The latter can certainly turn on a relay faster than the formermost, but not particularly practical.

Hackaday had a touch screen computer made from an RPi3b+. All said and done it cost twice as much as a cheap laptop with twice the processor. Cool project, but no sense it.

Spec-manship has been around for a long time, but the bottom line is, it's just weenie-wagging.

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
It would depend on your application. It's a matter of "the right tool for the job". I have tasks for Arduino Nano's (<USD$10), for Rpi's (<USD$50), for old i386 (<$100) to computers costing over USD$1000 for 3-D CAD work and video editing. The latter can certainly turn on a relay faster than the formermost, but not particularly practical.

Hackaday had a touch screen computer made from an RPi3b+. All said and done it cost twice as much as a cheap laptop with twice the processor. Cool project, but no sense it.

Spec-manship has been around for a long time, but the bottom line is, it's just weenie-wagging.

Eh I'd like to run some emulators mostly... I am hoping this runs the same or better as Odroid N2. And watch some naomi and atomiswave run damn flawless for a 3rd of the price

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm just curious which one of these is better. I know the Raspberry pi 4 is out in the wild. But in the mean what are your thoughts between the two?
In terms of raw horsepower and efficiency, there's no question the ODROID-N2 wins on pretty much all fronts. It's lacking a couple features, such as built-in wireless.

However, whether it makes sense depends on where you're coming from and what you want to do with it. Everybody cites the Pi's software support and its community as unparalleled, for this class of products. Though the Pi 4's software support might be rough at launch, I'm sure it'll solidify very quickly.

As for the N2, you should really lurk their forums and get a sense of what you're getting into, if you go that route. Things to watch out for will be the GPU drivers and video decode acceleration, for instance.

Anyway, start by giving this a close read:

Then, check out their forums: https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=175

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
In terms of raw horsepower and efficiency, there's no question the ODROID-N2 wins on pretty much all fronts. It's lacking a couple features, such as built-in wireless.

However, whether it makes sense depends on where you're coming from and what you want to do with it. Everybody cites the Pi's software support and its community as unparalleled, for this class of products. Though the Pi 4's software support might be rough at launch, I'm sure it'll solidify very quickly.

As for the N2, you should really lurk their forums and get a sense of what you're getting into, if you go that route. Things to watch out for will be the GPU drivers and video decode acceleration, for instance.

Anyway, start by giving this a close read:

Then, check out their forums: https://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=175

Thanks so much. pulled the trigger on getting an Odroid N2 at the end the of the still on gonna try the the new Pi4 its all learning right?

Reactions: bit_user

TRENDING THREADS