[SOLVED] Spectrum Router Recommendations

kwest12

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Hi there, I'm going to be switching to Spectrum (100 mbps) soon and have read that it's best to use the Spectrum-provided free modem, but to get your own router instead of paying monthly for a low quality one from Spectrum.

My model will be located suboptimally at one end of my small house where the TV connection is, and will need to reach through 2 or 3 walls to a room about 35 - 40 feet away.

I have a lot of smart speakers (about 7 or 8,) 2 or 3 smartphones, 2 laptops, and 2 firesticks. The maximum amount of devices in use at one time would likely look like playing music on 1 smart speaker, streaming sports on the 2 firesticks, and video calling with 2 devices (laptops or phones). The more frequent use case will be video calls on 2 devices while using virtual desktop environments on 2 other devices.

I'm not sure if I have done a good job describing my needs, so please let me know if more is required. I'd like to keep the cost under $150 but can go up to $200 if it really makes a big difference.

Solution
The main issue with wifi is your end devices most times not the router. First you have to be careful about buying feature on the router the end devices will not use. Many router will do 4x4 mimo but it is a very rare feature on a end device. The vast majority can only have 2 antenna and only support 2x2 mimo. This is true of many other feature like mu-mimo or some of the non standard data encoding router use to get bigger "numbers". Be careful to see what your end devices can actually use before spending extra money.

This is also true when it comes to coverage. Most routers transmit at the legal maximum power. Many end devices especially portable ones do not because of size and to save battery power. So the device...
The main issue with wifi is your end devices most times not the router. First you have to be careful about buying feature on the router the end devices will not use. Many router will do 4x4 mimo but it is a very rare feature on a end device. The vast majority can only have 2 antenna and only support 2x2 mimo. This is true of many other feature like mu-mimo or some of the non standard data encoding router use to get bigger "numbers". Be careful to see what your end devices can actually use before spending extra money.

This is also true when it comes to coverage. Most routers transmit at the legal maximum power. Many end devices especially portable ones do not because of size and to save battery power. So the device can hear the router but the router can not hear the end device as well.

The key thing in general is to use ethernet cable as much as you possibly can so you reduce the wifi competition between your devices. It is already bad that you have to compete with neighbors you have no control.

Try to balance your devices across the 2.4g and 5g radios.

Solution

kwest12

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Thanks everyone!

Please forgive my ignorance, but how to I check if my devices can use 4x4 mimo, 2x2 mimo, and mu-mimo? If I just start googling my devices with those terms included do you think it'll tell me?

You can generally tell by what it calls the "speed".
generally you see numbers like 150,300,450,600 on the 2.4g band and stuff like 433,867,1300,1733 on 5g. These are the values for 1-4 data feeds.

Unfortunately they round these off to number like 450 and 900 on 5g and to make things even more confusing they add them together.

If you read the fine print in the specs they usually tell these numbers and other details.

You can generally just assume most device support only 2x2 mimo. This would mean that the maximum rates it can get using standard encoding is 300 on 2.4g and "900" on 5g. This is where the 1200 number you see on routers comes from. Generally if device supports something better it brags about it.