Question Speed and slot questions for memory for i7-10700K build

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I’m ordering parts for an Intel core i7-10700K build. I’m planning on a ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero (WiFi) LGA1200 motherboard. My initial intent has been to get G.SKILL TridentZ 4 x 16GB @3466 (either F4-3466C16Q-64GTZKK or F4-3466C16Q-64GTZR) for 64GB. This memory is listed on the QVL. However I'm also wondering about 2x 32GB and augmenting later if needed. Three specific questions:
  1. A 10700K natively supports speeds of 2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 as I understand it. Am I correct in thinking that until I set OC'ing, the the RAM will still work, just at one of the speeds within the range of what the processor natively supports?
  2. Am I correct in thinking that I should not get this 4x 16GB memory as it occupies 4 slots and the QVL only shows 1,2 for socket support. Instead, for 64GB I need to get 2x 32GB ? (Or, does this simply mean it wasn’t tested in a 4-slot configuration, so what I was planning to order might work or might not?)
  3. I think the mobo has dual channel. Does this mean that if I were to order 2x 32GB now, that I could later order an additional 2x 32GB (assuming identical speed, timing, etc.) and it should work (but perhaps only if the socket support has 1,2,4 in it, not just 1,2)?
Thanks. It's been a few years since I built my last system and I haven't kept up with what differences technology changes may have made.

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I did some checking before posting and couldn't find the answers to the above. I've continued to check and here's what I think the answers may be.

1) YES, the mobo will use it at the highest native speed the mobo supports. It also makes logical sense.

2) I DON'T KNOW. Supposedly the socket support shows what they tested but why would they test 4-module set (4x16GB) but only use 2 sticks to test. This doesn't seem to make any sense.

3) YES, almost surely. The same brand, size, and timing should work. The same brands and timing with different sizes should work. Different brands should work but may not. Different timings should work (at the lowest timing and speed) but may not. This is what I've read so far. So a 2x32GB now with the option of adding 2x32GB later seems reasonable.

That said, I tend to trust answers on this site more than some others.

It seems to me the QVL matters only on RAM. I'm not sure why they put out a QVL on other items. I'd think if both NewEgg system builder and PCPartPicker say an item is compatible, I'm probably good to go?!