[SOLVED] Speed of Network/Internet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
So, was looking at upgrading my 10Mbps connection to 100Mbps because they just switched out our TV boxes that were coax to ethernet which use part of the internet bandwidth.

Personally, I don't think it's fair that we pay the same amount for internet and TV after the "upgrade" because no longer using two separate lines, and if I download at full speed, the TV glitches.. But, that's another argument.

Anyways. I noticed that the ISP had a bundle for 100Mbps with the TV and after discounts would be $1.50 more a month.

I checked and they said I have 100Mbps already.

So, I tried OOKLA Speed Test, and 2ms ping, 103Mbps download/105Mbps upload.

However, I download all the time, and I have never gone beyond 11Mbps. Torrents (legal), transfers, games from Epic or Steam... shoots up to 10-11Mbps, and never beyond.

What am I missing here? is it a bit vs byte deal? or, router throttle? or...???

We just got a new router from the ISP, so it's not that because been this way for years. I do have a Cat6 ethernet cable running through the basement up to my office/cave from the router, and I have an old TP-Link plugged into it as an access point (WiFi extender, and my PC/Media Centre/NAS plugged in). I set it up as a cascading network I think it was called MANY years ago. I was gifted a newer TP-Link that I plan to install as an access point in AP mode. I'd like to figure out the issue, if there is one, before hand so I can setup the new(er) router correctly (if router related).

kanewolf

Titan
So, was looking at upgrading my 10Mbps connection to 100Mbps because they just switched out our TV boxes that were coax to ethernet which use part of the internet bandwidth.

Personally, I don't think it's fair that we pay the same amount for internet and TV after the "upgrade" because no longer using two separate lines, and if I download at full speed, the TV glitches.. But, that's another argument.

Anyways. I noticed that the ISP had a bundle for 100Mbps with the TV and after discounts would be $1.50 more a month.

I checked and they said I have 100Mbps already.

So, I tried OOKLA Speed Test, and 2ms ping, 103Mbps download/105Mbps upload.

However, I download all the time, and I have never gone beyond 11Mbps. Torrents (legal), transfers, games from Epic or Steam... shoots up to 10-11Mbps, and never beyond.

What am I missing here? is it a bit vs byte deal? or, router throttle? or...???

We just got a new router from the ISP, so it's not that because been this way for years. I do have a Cat6 ethernet cable running through the basement up to my office/cave from the router, and I have an old TP-Link plugged into it as an access point (WiFi extender, and my PC/Media Centre/NAS plugged in). I set it up as a cascading network I think it was called MANY years ago. I was gifted a newer TP-Link that I plan to install as an access point in AP mode. I'd like to figure out the issue, if there is one, before hand so I can setup the new(er) router correctly (if router related).
You need to check your units. Most downloads are in megabytes and download speed is in megabits. An 8x divisor between them. So an 11MB download would be approximately 100Mb.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Modem/routers/access points, NAS, etc. Full make and model information.

More information needed.

Connection path being being similar to the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices.

Feel free to edit and connect my line diagram to show all devices and connections.

Or if you already have such a diagram then scan or photograph as applicable, Post the diagram here via imgur (www.imgur.com)

You have a mixed environment of devices and connectivity so hopefull the low performance is only a matter of some configuration error of omission and commission,

Another potential issue is that Cat 6 cable. Source? Ensure that the cable is round, full copper (not copper clad aluminum) at 22-24 AWG.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Commmand Prompt and post the results herein.

You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to retype everything.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
You need to check your units. Most downloads are in megabytes and download speed is in megabits. An 8x divisor between them. So an 11MB download would be approximately 100Mb.
Ah so I was right, it is a bit vs byte deal... I was looking at uTorrent a lot for the numbers and even if have 10 files at the same time, the total never exceeds more than 11MB/s... all caps. OOKLA Speed test shows Mbps... lower case "b" so... that must be it then.

Easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.