[SOLVED] Speed Test Upload Inconsistent

Colapsar

Commendable
May 9, 2019
So I had been advised that one of the workstations in our office was experiencing some problems regarding internet. It had been spotty all day and reported just not working when attempting any Zoom meetings. The setup for this workstation is from the wall jack to a dead switch into a laptop.

I did a speed test directly from the wall into a laptop and download seems to be fine, but upload is acting strange. Sometimes it will report speed sometimes sit at 0 until canceled. I ran maybe 30 tests and it was a continuous issue. I suppose it could be a firewall problem, but wouldn't that be 100% not allowing upload to go through? I'm wondering if the hardware in the wall is bad. I used 2 separate cables I know work. No lights on the wall to give any indication if it is bad, switch lights don't report any issues when used. Any ideas?

Thanks,

West.

Solution
I have seen speedtest do this and never figured out why. In my case it seems to do it only when I am running via the vpn. It only does it sometimes so I have not figured out why.

If the upload was zero nothing would work. Even download sends back a bunch of small packets acknowledging the reception of the data. Every web page you open has to send lots of https requests to the server with all the data about what page you want to load and of course all the scummy ads and their tracking. If you have poor upload performance you would see stalls as web pages load. Upload is hard to test. Other than the speedtest sites the only thing that uses lots of upload is one of the cloud disk storage sites. You can see the rates in the...
I have seen speedtest do this and never figured out why. In my case it seems to do it only when I am running via the vpn. It only does it sometimes so I have not figured out why.

If the upload was zero nothing would work. Even download sends back a bunch of small packets acknowledging the reception of the data. Every web page you open has to send lots of https requests to the server with all the data about what page you want to load and of course all the scummy ads and their tracking. If you have poor upload performance you would see stalls as web pages load. Upload is hard to test. Other than the speedtest sites the only thing that uses lots of upload is one of the cloud disk storage sites. You can see the rates in the resource monitor network tab, be careful many of the things are in BTYES/sec on that screen.

From what I have seen zoom looks like it uses a extremely compressed stream. You are suppose to only need 1mbit where people that live stream games are using 6 or 8mbit.

What ability to you have to test to a local file. Is there a server or can you share files on another pc. If you can load software on 2 pc at the office you should be able to use a old program called IPERF. You want to test in both directions but I would start with the broken pc acting as the server and the other machine as the client. That way the data is considered a upload. You should see rates above 900mbps.

Solution

Colapsar

Commendable
May 9, 2019

If the upload was zero nothing would work. Even download sends back a bunch of small packets acknowledging the reception of the data. Every web page you open has to send lots of https requests to the server with all the data about what page you want to load and of course all the scummy ads and their tracking. If you have poor upload performance you would see stalls as web pages load. Upload is hard to test. Other than the speedtest sites the only thing that uses lots of upload is one of the cloud disk storage sites. You can see the rates in the resource monitor network tab, be careful many of the things are in BTYES/sec on that screen.

From what I have seen zoom looks like it uses a extremely compressed stream. You are suppose to only need 1mbit where people that live stream games are using 6 or 8mbit.

What ability to you have to test to a local file. Is there a server or can you share files on another pc. If you can load software on 2 pc at the office you should be able to use a old program called IPERF. You want to test in both directions but I would start with the broken pc acting as the server and the other machine as the client. That way the data is considered a upload. You should see rates above 900mbps.

Thanks for reply back. It is on a server, I can attempt this check. So more than likely it isn't a data port issue?