Question Speed up loading DVD with hughe numbers of files that contains totally new unknown icons for windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 28, 2021
First this:
To speed-up windows, it caches all the new icons it ever loaded by the first time.
So when Windows has to display these icons again it does not read from the original file anymore, but reads only from the Icon-Cache-File within windows itself. This way it is fast.

The Icon-Cache-File has a maximum size. If the cache file is full, windows will delete cached icons after closing the explorer.
Every time when windows have to display these icons again, it has to read from their original files again, and that slows down. If the list is long it can take a while.
You can alter the cache size to a bigger size manually or by hacks, so that problem will be solved.

But 1 thing always remains !!!!!!
Every time a NEW ICON has to be displayed, windows must always read its content from the original file itself.
(after that it will be cached if there is enough space within the windows cache size file)

But what happens when you enter a CD/DVD/USB-Drive that contains folders with hughe numbers of files that contains totally new unknown icons for windows ??
All the contents of these icons have to be read from its original file for the first time.
This turns your CD/DVD into a Matrix-Printer sounding machine, and its Read-Head is going from left to the right and over again, like a million times.
Also on any other computer you want to use this CD/DVD.
I have times that the CD/DVD Drive takes like 20min to display all new icons from the file list in the folder.
Same thing happens with a USB Drive/Stick, but its some faster. Although you can see the delay from appearing icons on the screen one by one.

My question IS NOT about Cache-Repair Cache-Rebuild Cache-Size Cache-Speed etc.......

My question is about a trick to upload these icons into the Windows Icon-Cache-File before displaying them.
It's the first thing that must happen when you enter the CD/DVD into the player, and it is spinning up.
A File/Folder should be present on the disk containing all copy's of the Icons, so it can be automatically uploaded to the Windows-Icon-Cache-File in 1 time.
After these Brand New Icons (unknown for windows) has been updated to the windows Cache-File, explorer can display the files in the folder together with all the icons.

How can I make some kind of loader on a DVD-Disk (4,7GB) that automatically upload a copy of all icons into the Windows Icon-Cache-File ????

Mar 28, 2021
You're not changing how Windows indexing works.
That was not my idea.
Try to find a way with windows, or make it more easy for windows. Have some work done etc.

Hey you ruin my quote, i repeat:

It seems to me that almost every possibility is tried out, but maybe there is one more option.
Like i say before:
Load the DVD with the icons-folder and open it, scroll to the bottom. Then i take it out. (reading is pretty fast because the files are located together this time, the read-head is not making that matrix sound)

So its no problem if all icons are located together in 1 folder (or space on the disk)

The only thing i can come up with is the program thats burning the disk.
But i already tried Nero 2019 and PowerISO 7.7

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That was not my idea.
Try to find a way with windows, or make it more easy for windows. Have some work done etc.

Hey you ruin my quote, i repeat:

It seems to me that almost every possibility is tried out, but maybe there is one more option.
Like i say before:

So its no problem if all icons are located together in 1 folder (or space on the disk)

The only thing i can come up with is the program thats burning the disk.
But i already tried Nero 2019 and PowerISO 7.7

You're not listening. How "THIS" works is the Windows Indexing feature, it creates the drive index, the icon library etc.

You're trying to "help" it but there is no way for it to receive your help. It works a certain way, and unless again you can reengineer how windows works, no amount of what you are doing will change it.

Mar 28, 2021
okay, so there is no way to burn them (the icons of the program files) somewhere together on the disk, so the readhead almost does not have to move and can read them quickly.
If that is tue, then i'm out..... there is nothing to do.
anyone ???

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
okay, so there is no way to burn them (the icons of the program files) somewhere together on the disk, so the readhead almost does not have to move and can read them quickly.
If that is tue, then i'm out..... there is nothing to do.
anyone ???

Literally 0 way to do this. You'd need a file index with the icons AND Windows would need to be configured to read it. Windows is not configured for that, as I said.

TRENDING THREADS