Speedfan controling case fan with GPU temp

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

I've read people saying you can use speedfan v4.52 to control case fans from GPU & other temps (and also seen posts saying you cant do it...) but I cant work out how to do it!

Does it work with Asus z370-e mobo & noctua PWM fans?

I played around for a bit then found this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VjdQStihsE and that is exactly what I have done

I have disabled fan control in BIOS and set it to 100%. So when the system powers on the fan runs at 100%, I open speedfan and I can see the fan is going at full rpm but it thinks it is actually at 40%, I then open furmark and run a stress test and the fan % in speedfan increases up to 100% so it appears everything is working correctly except the crucial part of speedfan actually adjusting the fans haha

Is it just not compatible with my mobo?

Any ideas?
Thanks

Solution
You should see it with Ryzen, it recognizes only one fan and even that one shows wrong values. Also only one HDD temperature and no SSD but I have 2 of each.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
SpeedFan works great. IF you can figure out how to set it up. For fans there's only 2 tabs worth looking at and only one that really does anything. It's on the 1 tab where you set up the fan curves. In that, you'll see a line that has the fan buss addresses, but also has listing for cpu and gpu as possible sources of the temps, to apply to any header.

Running with an aio, I don't worry about cpu temps, that's controlled by something else, but I've had case fans set up on a 30-40° case temp and have also tinkered with setting them up according to gpu. Gpu temps were ok, but if doing anything highly cpu intensive, case temps shot up, not enough exhaust to compensate, so overall I got better results with a sharper case temp curve from 20% to 100% at 30-40°,which covers any cpu or gpu usage.

slippyjim

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012

That would make sense with what I'm seeing.

Think I'll just use the Asus software and set them to follow CPU temperature, I was just trying to be all geeky and clever :)

Cheers