Speedfan only picks up 3/5 of my fans?

ReUPTurnUP

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Yeah so why is speedfan only picking up 3/5 of my case fans? I there a way I can add in the other 2? Do I need more power or what? My fans at the moment are way 2 loud, thanks team

Solution
Here's how fan speed reading works. Most fans generate a speed signal (2 pulses per fan revolution) and send to back to the mobo header on Pin #3 of the header. The mobo circuitry then counts those pulses to display a speed for you, whatever tool you use to display them. Some first of all, the ONLY things that can count speeds for display are the mobo headers (well, excepting some added special circuits in certain AIO liquid CPU cooler systems). So any fan plugged into a power output directly from a PSU will never show you a speed becasue4 the PSU has no way of dealing with the signal.

Secondly, a mobo fan header can only deal with ONE string of pulses coming in from a SINGLE fan. So, if you use a Splitter or a Hub to connect more than...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's how fan speed reading works. Most fans generate a speed signal (2 pulses per fan revolution) and send to back to the mobo header on Pin #3 of the header. The mobo circuitry then counts those pulses to display a speed for you, whatever tool you use to display them. Some first of all, the ONLY things that can count speeds for display are the mobo headers (well, excepting some added special circuits in certain AIO liquid CPU cooler systems). So any fan plugged into a power output directly from a PSU will never show you a speed becasue4 the PSU has no way of dealing with the signal.

Secondly, a mobo fan header can only deal with ONE string of pulses coming in from a SINGLE fan. So, if you use a Splitter or a Hub to connect more than one fan to a particular header, that device will only send to the header ONE of the fans' speed signal pulses. It simply will not pass speed signals from any other fan to anywhere, so the other fans' speeds all are invisible.

So, you can only "see" ONE fan speed on each MOBO Fan header. No extras, and none at all if they are connected directly to the PSU.

Third-party add-on Fan Controller modules that you mount in the front of your case and use to control fans manually often also will show you the speed of each fan they handle. But that info is not sent out anywhere else, so Speedfan will never even know such info exists.

Solution

ReUPTurnUP

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016

They're all connected to a ''hub'' but surely there is a way, it can't be as simple as that.... right?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have FIVE case fans connected to ONE Hub attached to a mobo fan header, there can NOT be THREE speed signals from those fans shown by any software tool. That Hub can send to the mobo header only ONE fan speed. If you really are "seeing" three speeds, then two of them are NOT connected to that Hub. ONE probably is the CPU cooler system. But what other fan is connected to a mobo fan header?

There is no way for any fan header to tell you the speed of more than one fan. If you tell us the maker and exact model number of your mobo, we can look up how much it can do. If you tell us ALL the fans you have, and exactly where they are plugged in, we MAY be able to advise ways to change it.