[SOLVED] Speeds Issues ( Virgin Media 1Gbps Connection)

gasolineburp8999

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded to a Virgin Media 1Gbps (1000Mbps) connection. I have been conducting some speed tests and I'm not totally happy. The speed difference between the Google Speed Test (23Mbps) and the Ookla speed test (490Mbps) is vastly different, why would this be?? and clearly I'm not getting my full allotted speed.

These tests are being conducted while connected directly to the router via Cat6 Ethernet Cable. The difference in speed between the Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable is vast also, but I'll leave that for another thread.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance.

GasolineBurp8999

Solution
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded to a Virgin Media 1Gbps (1000Mbps) connection. I have been conducting some speed tests and I'm not totally happy. The speed difference between the Google Speed Test (23Mbps) and the Ookla speed test (490Mbps) is vastly different, why would this be?? and clearly I'm not getting my full allotted speed.

These tests are being conducted while connected directly to the router via Cat6 Ethernet Cable. The difference in speed between the Wi-Fi and Ethernet cable is vast also, but I'll leave that for another thread.

GasolineBurp8999
Your ISP only specifies the speed between your house and their hardware. You should see if they have a...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all,

GasolineBurp8999
Your ISP only specifies the speed between your house and their hardware. You should see if they have a speedtest portal.
And of course your contract says UP TO 1Gbit. The don't guarantee any speeds.
BUT.
I would start by doing a factory reset of your router and setting a minimal configuration (admin password, WIFI SSID and password, and any ISP required info).
That will ensure that you haven't set an option on your router that is limiting performance. There are LOTS of things that can limit performance that don't seem like they would.

Solution