Speedy Chrome 5 Tested Against Potato Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I suppose it is fair to do so...but as has been pointed out in the youtube comments 'allrecipes.com' is being loaded from the C: drive. You can see it if you switch to fullscreen HD.

They're testing the browser though...not someone's network, so I'm okay with it.

dan117

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Just installed it. While it is faster than Firefox 3.6, it's not as fast as in the video. Even when loading the page a second time.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I've been using chrome since a month or two in my netbook (gotta love the screen space saving) and actually, I'm liking chrome more and more.

But until all the extensions I use are available there, I'll stick to firefox on my desktop pc. (nothing fancy, just the gestures, a .flv downloader, yesscript, adblock and image toolbar)

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]How is the 2nd test "sound" test?[/citation]
The sound waves from that weird speaker are pushes the paint up

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]powerofpi[/nom]Here's to hoping Chrome's market share stays small so I can keep using it without worrying about malware![/citation]
Yeah, I'll be happy with Chrome staying no higher than 10%. Otherwise I won't feel special.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]How is the 2nd test "sound" test?[/citation]

Learn to have fun. I would think it's obvious the whole point of it is just to have fun. Though I suppose some people just can't live without being cynical.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What does it mean when a browser is fast or slow? As far as I know (and I've been a web developer for ten years), the page loading speed is determined by your internet connection, more specifically latency and bandwidth. Then there are server response times and routing which also don't have anything to do with the browser. The only thing a browser can do faster or slower with a web page is Javascript execution and if that time is measurable by humans in everyday use then someone has written some bad Javascript. Also, Javascript is usually executed only after the page is completely loaded so... anyway... I'm sick of 'the fastest browser on Earth' marketing shtick.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]What does it mean when a browser is fast or slow? As far as I know (and I've been a web developer for ten years), the page loading speed is determined by your internet connection, more specifically latency and bandwidth. Then there are server response times and routing which also don't have anything to do with the browser. The only thing a browser can do faster or slower with a web page is Javascript execution and if that time is measurable by humans in everyday use then someone has written some bad Javascript. Also, Javascript is usually executed only after the page is completely loaded so... anyway... I'm sick of 'the fastest browser on Earth' marketing shtick.[/citation]
Have you ever tried Chrome vs IE or FF on any AJAX intensive site? Chrome is noticably faster. Internet connections are fast enough nowadays that it usually takes no more than 1-2 seconds to get the data. Chrome just feels 'snappier'.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Babachoo[/nom]Google is evil. Avoid them and their products and services at all costs.[/citation]
And the evil things they have done are? I mean they're big and getting into monopoly territory, but not in the Microsoft shady dealings kind of way, more of the just making better / more innovative products kind of way.

G

killerclick

you are right to a point, but there are some browsers who's codes are so bloated and inefficient that it actually adds overhead to your browsing experience, this effect is multiplied ten folds on mobile devices that do not have the horse power of your standard desktop

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Have you ever tried Chrome vs IE or FF on any AJAX intensive site? Chrome is noticably faster. Internet connections are fast enough nowadays that it usually takes no more than 1-2 seconds to get the data. Chrome just feels 'snappier'.[/citation]

I use a lot of browsers (FF2, FF3, O9, O10, Chrome, Safari, MSIE6,7,8, Seamonkey, Konqueror... - as a web dev I have to) and connection speed (latency and bandwidth) are the only parameters that I see having any effect on page loading speed. AJAX itself is just a way to send requests and receive responses from servers without reloading the page and it doesn't affect the loading speed (since the whole point of AJAX is that it's used after the page is loaded).

The actual speed differences within browsers are fractions of a second. I honestly can't feel such differences when I use the browsers, especially when server response times, routes and ping times vary wildly between sites, times of day and the current status of my internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.