[SOLVED] Spilled Thermal Paste near socket

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Hi
I am new to handling pc equipment and i dont know if what i have done is safe
Please help
I decided to re apply thermal paste on my cpu as temps were too high
So i removed the cpu fan and cleaned both heatsink and cpu with iso propyl alcohol and q tips
i applied arctic mx 4 and finally was going to install the fan back on
but i messed up as i dint turn the fan pins properly
I had to remove the fan and in doing so thermal paste got spilled on the side of the cpu and the socket
it spilled near the edge not on the pins.
So i tried cleaning it with toothpick and some q tips but could not remove entirely as i feared touching the pins on the socket with the q tip
A tiny quantity is still present near the edge of the socket
i booted my pc
its fine and working for now and the temps are lower significantly but is it safe to continue using it??

Solution
Also need to add that it's probably more likely to damage the board trying to clean up a thermal paste mess if you go at it too agressively. Better to just clean off any big glops and leave the rest alone.
Hi
I am new to handling pc equipment and i dont know if what i have done is safe
Please help
I decided to re apply thermal paste on my cpu as temps were too high
So i removed the cpu fan and cleaned both heatsink and cpu with iso propyl alcohol and q tips
i applied arctic mx 4 and finally was going to install the fan back on
but i messed up as i dint turn the fan pins properly
I had to remove the fan and in doing so thermal paste got spilled on the side of the cpu and the socket
it spilled near the edge not on the pins.
So i tried cleaning it with toothpick and some q tips but could not remove entirely as i feared touching the pins on the socket with the q tip
A tiny quantity is still present near the edge of the socket
i booted my pc
its fine and working for now and the temps are lower significantly but is it safe to continue using it??
I think....yes it is probably safe.
...and it isn't conductive....which is a plus in this particular case.

Legend207

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Also need to add that it's probably more likely to damage the board trying to clean up a thermal paste mess if you go at it too agressively. Better to just clean off any big glops and leave the rest alone.
Thank you :)
It seems fine after using it for a couple of hours and as you said if i go about cleaning it all i think i would damage the motherboard as I'm not an expert at it
thx for all the help everyone :)

Yep, if it's working you should be good.

My first cpu change where I had to use paste, I did spill chunks of paste in the socket. :( Took me about 2 hours with a toothpick, qtip, tissues and a magnifying glass to clean it all up, but everything was fine after that--and that was years ago. I think you'll be fine. :)

Reactions: Legend207