Spilled water on components, PC no longer working, trying to source issue (power on mechanic or motherboard)?

concorec

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I recently spilled a glass of water on top of my PC (bad introduction, I know). soon as it spilled I turned off the power from the wall, turned it on its side, grabbed some tissues, and tried to dry it best I could. After all that was done I put it back together tried to turn it on and *poof* nothing. First, I used the paper clip trick and managed to turn on my PSU, but nothing else so currently I see 2 options. 1) the more likely, and what I personally think is the cause, the water short circuited the mother board and that's dead. or 2) I damaged the power on mechanism. My case is a corsair Spec 02 which has several vertical facing ports and a vertical facing power on button at the top that the water hit directly. In the seconds before I cut the power from my PC I even saw that a "device" had been plugged into the audio jack. is there any possibility that it was this mechanism I screwed up instead of the mother board, or is there anyway for me to test if I did. Also I used the paper clip trick to plug in my mother board so all should have been working but my monitor didn't get any signal so I'm presuming it's the motherboard, just looking for any final checks.

Solution
To test if it's an issue with the case, install the system in another case. But it's probably not just a case issue, motherboard, and maybe other components may be damaged.

Onkars

Reputable
Oct 13, 2016
You can buy a motherboard for less than 50$ I got mine at 53$ the Asus one . First check all you components are okay or not by installing it in any friends pc