Question spilled water on tower

Dec 14, 2019
so, i spilled water on my pc. I quickly turned it off and started cleanign the water off of it. I turned it on maybe 5 mins later to see if it worked. It sterted up with no problems. I went to go use it maybe 30 mins later and it wouldn't turn back on. It post light flashes red then stays on yellow. I'm not sure what to do. I took out the ram and tested it with only 1 stick at a time but still wouldn't post.
mobo z270
cpu 7700
2x 8g ram corsair

You probably cooked it because you did not give it enough time to dry out AND you didn't take any steps to make sure there was no water down IN any of the areas where water could accumulate.

I would take the side panel off, unplug the system and leave it to dry for at least 24 hours. If you can place it in front of or near an active heater vent that can help with the drying process, so much the better. Switch the power supply off on the back as well. After a day or so, plug it back in, switch it back on and try it again. If it doesn't work, then you likely cooked something by starting it up while it was still wet. Water alone won't damage the hardware, so if you allow it to dry before powering it on. it's usually ok. Water PLUS electricity, does not work well and things tend to short out and become damaged.

It might be a stiff learning lesson for you, in this case. Worth trying to allow it to dry out though and see what happens. I'd also remove ALL hardware once it's unplugged. Remove the graphics card, memory, storage drives, etc. Leave the CPU installed, no point in removing that really. Make sure the sockets where those hardware plug in get the chance to dry out as well. Use cans of compressed air if you find there is still wetness anywhere.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, once there's water in your desktop, you have to take that apart and make sure everything's dry. Which will mean leaving it off a whole day at a minimum to ensure, even after you've disassembled and reassembled it, that nothing's wet. What likely happened is that nothing crucial was wet when you turned it back on, but in the space of 25 minutes, moisture trickled down to a more serious component.

DB's advice what to do now is advice you should heed.