Spilled water over my running pc

Mar 4, 2018
I spilled water over my pc, it dripped down trough my dustfilter. It was still running, although i shut it down asap. I started drying it, but the idiot that i was, i powered it up again after i thought everything was dry again. I smelled magic smoke, and the powerlight kept flashing so i powered it down again. Ever since, it wont boot, it doesnt show any sign of life. The power supply makes a wierd hig-pitched noise too. I was wondering if there is a way to check what components are damaged, so i know what to replace..

I mailed some shops about this, but only checking could cost up to €120..

I do have a second, wayy older pc, but i am afraid to test my components in it, cuz i dont know if they are compatible..

Any tips/help would be greatly apriciated.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
How are you drying the board? Don't use a hair dryer or you'll ruin the board with the heat lol. All you can do is leave it air drying overnight. Just place the board on it's side and hopefully all the water has dried or dripped off.

If water got inside the Power Supply, don't use it. It could be VERY dangerous. Your best bet would be to replace the PS and HOPE that the board was not damaged.

If after all that the board does not power on, it may well be dead.

Mar 4, 2018
All this happened almost a month ago, and i dried it with a towel where i could and i left it to dry in the air for a few days.
No, i dont think the water got inside anything exept for the mobo, and the drive bay, but not the drives themselves. The water on the mobo, for as far as i could see, only came on the corner, where all the front panel connections are, like the power button and the power LED. the psu makes a wierd sound when powered on and connected to the Mobo, but i just tried disconnecting it from the mobo and it doesnt make the sound, so hopefully the PSU is okay.. But no, it doesnt power on anymore..

Mar 4, 2018
I am certain it did not get on my graphics card, so i hope thats okay..