Spilt juice on motherboard, what should I do?

Gareth Williams

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I spilled juice on my motherboard a couple months ago. I've since cleaned the motherboard using cotton buds and alcohol and removed all the visible sticky residue I could.

I have 2 problems:

1. PC won't boot unless I turn the power supply off at the back wait... and then back on. (Had this problem ever since)

2. More concerning the PC will boot but after loading into windows but if I try and play games eventually it will just shutdown immediately and reboot (just started happening)

how can I diagnose whether it is a problem with the motherboard or power supply? I have very limited tools as i'm away from home currently.

Thanks

It is really hard to clean a motherboard, when a sweet substance found its way into nooks and crannies...eventually it will corrode a component.
It looks like a motherboard failing but to be sure you will have to try another PSU and see if the issue goes away.

Gareth Williams

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention my left two ram slots have completely stopped working since the juice incident. I think i'm going to just buy a new motherboard as I don't have another PSU to test. Just been trying to hold off for as long as possible because LGA 1151 sockets don't come cheap :(