Spinning fans and running components, dead usb and displayports

Nov 5, 2018
Hi I’m new here but need help with a problem with no display. So I have these specs:
-MSI X370 Gaming Plus mobo
-2x viper 2x4 Ddr4 RAM
-Corsair cx 650m psu
-Samsung evo 860 1tb m.2
-wd hard drive 2tb blue
-pny gtx 1060 6gb
-ryzen 7 2700x

So the ryzen and it’s stock heatsink are a new upgrade I got from my last cpu and heatsink in the ryzen 5 1600 and it’s stock wraith spire cooler.

The ryzen 5 1600, with the stock cooler not even an hour before installation of the upgrade, the system ran fine.

Upon installation the cpu fan lights up and runs along with all of the other fans installed in my system. The cpu power cord is hooked up to my psu and is securely clipped into the mobo.

I’ve tried using one stick of ram, turning the gpu off, using the on board display as well as all of the other displays on my gpu and also my mobo.

My gpu’s fan turns on and then off after about 10 seconds. It’s done this before and has worked fine, but I thought it was an important detail to anyone willing to help.

I don’t have a jumper cap so I haven’t reset the cmos yet because I don’t want to use a screwdriver.

That’s really about it on what I’ve done. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nov 5, 2018
I did re-seat the CPU and tested the old CPU afterwards. The old CPU worked fine, so I’m thinking the Ryzen 2700x was dead on arrival because it still wasn’t working when I put it back in.

Did you check for a newer BIOS for the motherboard when you had the original CPU in? I think the motherboard you had should support the 2nd gen Ryzen but updating the BIOS is a good step to try.

Nov 5, 2018

I’m 100% sure how to be certain that it’s updated but it came out of the box with 2nd gen support labeled so I think it does. We will know tomorrow for sure because the replacement comes in, and if that 2700x doesn’t work then it’s probably the BIOS. I’ll get back to ya