Split audio to two separate output devices: HDMI & Desktop Speakers

BSoDX

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Im looking for help splitting audio to two separate output devices in windows 7 x64.

The scenario is as follows:
I'm preparing my primary PC to act as a Media center. Ideally I'd like for someone to be able to watch netflix, or online videos on the TV with audio and video running through the HDMI cable while someone else can use the PC monitor & desktop speakers to game or do other tasks. The issue is both gaming applications and chrome (or other web browsers) only support audio playing through the default audio device in windows 7. As a result, i'm forced to pick whether i want all audio to play from the TV speakers or the desktop speakers.

Summary of Specs:
Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe mobo - rear port used for desktop speakers
Radeon HD 6870 - HDMI for TV sound
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
4 gigs ram

Doing some research I've learned this was a feature in win XP but was dropped in vista/7. On windows 7 support forums the Microsoft Support reply that it was an intentional omission win both windows 7 and vista.

I know how to direct the audio from winamp, media player classic, and WMP to the output device of my choosing. - This is not what I'm looking to do.

What i'd appreciate is any insights/ third party applications (free or priced) i could use to direct the audio output from my web browser to the speakers of my choice.

I have tried three third party applications:
Virtual Audio Cable: lets me play the same audio out both the HDMI connection and the desktop speakers.

IndieVolume: shows promise as it lets me direct audio from applications to the output device i choose, but all attempts to get the software to change my web browser's output device haven't worked. I also think the software is not supported for windows 7 x64.

J River - Media Center 17: media center software with an embedded web browser. Using this media center i can direct the audio from any media on my computer to the audio device of my choosing, but the embedded web browser plays out of windows default output device not the audio device i choose.

Ernie McDowell

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

Your method works but has about 1/4 second delay between the two devices which acts like reverb. It is an echo and it's very annoying.lol...

DeafMatcH

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015

this! got the same problem :/ my wife wants to watch netflix (dreamfilm) or whatever and i want to play games on pc..cant do both

Feb 12, 2019
Im looking for help splitting audio to two separate output devices in windows 7 x64.

The scenario is as follows:
I'm preparing my primary PC to act as a Media center. Ideally I'd like for someone to be able to watch netflix, or online videos on the TV with audio and video running through the HDMI cable while someone else can use the PC monitor & desktop speakers to game or do other tasks. The issue is both gaming applications and chrome (or other web browsers) only support audio playing through the default audio device in windows 7. As a result, i'm forced to pick whether i want all audio to play from the TV speakers or the desktop speakers.

Summary of Specs:
Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe mobo - rear port used for desktop speakers
Radeon HD 6870 - HDMI for TV sound
Athlon 64 x2 6000+
4 gigs ram

Doing some research I've learned this was a feature in win XP but was dropped in vista/7. On windows 7 support forums the Microsoft Support reply that it was an intentional omission win both windows 7 and vista.

I know how to direct the audio from winamp, media player classic, and WMP to the output device of my choosing. - This is not what I'm looking to do.

What i'd appreciate is any insights/ third party applications (free or priced) i could use to direct the audio output from my web browser to the speakers of my choice.

I have tried three third party applications:
Virtual Audio Cable: lets me play the same audio out both the HDMI connection and the desktop speakers.

IndieVolume: shows promise as it lets me direct audio from applications to the output device i choose, but all attempts to get the software to change my web browser's output device haven't worked. I also think the software is not supported for windows 7 x64.

J River - Media Center 17: media center software with an embedded web browser. Using this media center i can direct the audio from any media on my computer to the audio device of my choosing, but the embedded web browser plays out of windows default output device not the audio device i choose.
This worked for me. Might work for you.
Link to GitHub
Mega Link (64 bit)
Mega Link (32 bit)

Last edited: