Splittin the ethernet cable from my modem with a switch.

juliusvdb

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Hi there me and my family are renting a house in Curacao for a year.
We have a Arris wbm760 modem that has one ethernet port.
We have one long ethernet cable that goes from the modem to my linksys e1200 router (The router is so far away because we placed it in the center of the house so everybody has good wi-fi).
In the same room as the modem is are my Playstation 4 and Pc.
I want to connect my Pc/Ps4 to ethernet.
first i thought it was a good idea to buy another long ethernet cable but those are very expensive here but we do have short ones.
So i thought of buying a switch because i saw the TP-Link 5 Port 10/100 Switch for only 10 dollars.
So my Question is: can i connect the one ethernet cable of my modem with a short ethernet cable to the switch and from there run the long one to the router in the middle of the house and use the other ports of the switch to hook up my ps4 and pc with short ethernet cables?

Solution
No.

The chain must be:
ISP->modem->router->switch->devices.

The modem serves up one and only one IP address, to the first device it sees. Generally, this is your router.
The router then serves up multiple internal IP addresses, to all your devices. Either wired or WiFi.

USAFRet

Titan
No.

The chain must be:
ISP->modem->router->switch->devices.

The modem serves up one and only one IP address, to the first device it sees. Generally, this is your router.
The router then serves up multiple internal IP addresses, to all your devices. Either wired or WiFi.

Solution

maestripieritimo

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
you can put a cheap 4port router in between the modem and the far away router, you can even link the second router in the chain to act as a wireles switch just extending the first routers network, expanding your wireless even more and giving you 3 ports in the modemroom and more at the second router's placement. something like this Router TL-WR841N sets you back about 30$