Question Splitting a single USB Header for x53 AIO cooler

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Hi All!

Can I use this (Rocketek Motherboard USB 2.0) to split the single USB 2.0 internal motherboard connector?

I have an mini itx build using an Asrock z690i mobo with only one USB2.0 header that is currently used for the USB on H210i case.
I want to swap out the existing low profile fan cooler with an x53 AIO cooler... this requires it's own USB 2.0 header. Is it safe to split the existing USB header for the AIO cooler?

If there are other solutions then please do advise.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi All!

Can I use this (Rocketek Motherboard USB 2.0) to split the single USB 2.0 internal motherboard connector?

I have an mini itx build using an Asrock z690i mobo with only one USB2.0 header that is currently used for the USB on H210i case.
I want to swap out the existing low profile fan cooler with an x53 AIO cooler... this requires it's own USB 2.0 header. Is it safe to split the existing USB header for the AIO cooler?

If there are other solutions then please do advise.
Thanks!
How many usb ports to you really need? You could get a usb extension cord (male to female) and run that around from the back of you motherboard to the front of your case or desk and use that, leaving to internal port as it is for the AIO.

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
ASRock have two m-itx motherboards listed on their page, which one do you have? I wouldn't split the USB port on the motherboard if all you have is one USB2.0 header on said motherboard.
The mobo is this one:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813162037?Item=N82E16813162037
The model name is Z690 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB4

There is 1 USB header and that is current used for the USB on the front of the case. In practice I could remove that functionality and just use that header for the AIO. I just didn't account for this initially.

Last edited:

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
How many usb ports to you really need? You could get a usb extension cord (male to female) and run that around from the back of you motherboard to the front of your case or desk and use that, leaving to internal port as it is for the AIO.
That is a good question because I initially thought 4 usb ports is more than enough but here's the list of things that are connected via USB:
-- keyboard
-- mouse
-- headset
-- microphone
-- camera
-- led strip lights
-- a separate USB hub

It's nice thing to have an available USB port in the front on the case. In case he wants to plug in a USB flash drive then he won't have to mess with the clutter in the back. :)

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
ASRock have two m-itx motherboards listed on their page, which one do you have? I wouldn't split the USB port on the motherboard if all you have is one USB2.0 header on said motherboard.
Why would you say not to split the USB 2.0 header on the mobo?
Looking to know the reason... does it have bad effect on the hardware ?
Many thanks!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Any mobo USB2 header actually contains TWO separate ports operated by one controller chip. Most commonly the cable you plug into that header ends in TWO sockets (e.g. on the front panel) for your devices. One limiting factor is that EACH of those ports can supply power at 5 VDC up to 0.5 A to a connected device, and that actually is more than sufficient for many devices like keyboards, mice, memory sticks, etc.

Each USB2 port is supposed to support only one connected device. But there are lots of USB2 HUBS available that have the limited "smarts" in them to allow you to have several devices share that one port for communication with the mobo. The simplest of these provide no additional power, so the total load of the many devices on one host port cannot exceed that power limit. Some Hubs also allow you to connect a supplied "power brick" that supplies that full 0.5 A current max to each of its output ports and thus avoids the cumulative limit.

Basically, that Rocketek Splitter you linked is an unpowered USB2 double Hub. It has the "smarts" to convert EACH of the mobo header's ports into two ports, so it's similar to having two separate USB2 hubs, each one plugged into one of your front sockets. It does NOT provide for extra power. Thus for EACH of the its two output headers the two ports of that header must share the 0.5 A max limit. Commonly that is NOT an issue for use with low-power devices. When you use it for your purpose, ONE of the mobo header's ports becomes two ports that are dedicated to use with your AIO system, and the other origial port becomes a pair that connect to your front panel sockets.

That item should do your job just fine.

nonag

Reputable
May 11, 2020
Any mobo USB2 header actually contains TWO separate ports operated by one controller chip. Most commonly the cable you plug into that header ends in TWO sockets (e.g. on the front panel) for your devices. One limiting factor is that EACH of those ports can supply power at 5 VDC up to 0.5 A to a connected device, and that actually is more than sufficient for many devices like keyboards, mice, memory sticks, etc.

Each USB2 port is supposed to support only one connected device. But there are lots of USB2 HUBS available that have the limited "smarts" in them to allow you to have several devices share that one port for communication with the mobo. The simplest of these provide no additional power, so the total load of the many devices on one host port cannot exceed that power limit. Some Hubs also allow you to connect a supplied "power brick" that supplies that full 0.5 A current max to each of its output ports and thus avoids the cumulative limit.

Basically, that Rocketek Splitter you linked is an unpowered USB2 double Hub. It has the "smarts" to convert EACH of the mobo header's ports into two ports, so it's similar to having two separate USB2 hubs, each one plugged into one of your front sockets. It does NOT provide for extra power. Thus for EACH of the its two output headers the two ports of that header must share the 0.5 A max limit. Commonly that is NOT an issue for use with low-power devices. When you use it for your purpose, ONE of the mobo header's ports becomes two ports that are dedicated to use with your AIO system, and the other origial port becomes a pair that connect to your front panel sockets.

That item should do your job just fine.
Thanks