splitting at modem to TV and Computer? Will this degrade signal?

Vprbred

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I am planning to place a splitter after the modem before my tv and a new wireless device. The cable company installed an amplifer where cable comes into my house. My question is: Will there be enough of a signal for the HDTV and my wireless computer to work at the same time or at all?

Correction - Actually, I will be splitting the signal before the modem running a cable to the tv and one to modem.

Solution

I see, however I've always assumed such a signal must pass thru a device provided by the ISP to do the split. That way any weak signals would be the responsibility of the ISP to correct.

dingo07

Distinguished
The tech who installed the service and/or modem should've checked the signal level with his meter before he set up the equipment at its destination.

The more splitters connected to the single source entering the building, the more loss in signal throughout.

Your tv should be connect via a cable box, and not directly from a leg off a splitter with RG6.

For those of us who get both Internet and TV through a coaxial cable, I don't think that we can attach the TV box to the router. It needs to be on the coax directly.

ram1009

Distinguished

I see, however I've always assumed such a signal must pass thru a device provided by the ISP to do the split. That way any weak signals would be the responsibility of the ISP to correct.

Solution