Spreading Malware Through Dropped USB Sticks Could Be Highly Effective, Research Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCook

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Actually, I would say a large % of American's would absolutely know exactly what this is for. We are already seeing a large increase in ransomware attacks in Healthcare... Dropping these near a nursing station could easily be successful.

Business are the new targets of cyber criminals, not your home computers. Unsure why you would assume 100% of the earths population would need to be involved for this to have risk... Based on these numbers, 1 in 3 people will cause a failure. So you need 3 people that are computer literate, not 6.5 billion.

I would be one of the people who open the files. Althoug I would most likely do it in a sandboxed environment, though. 90% of the usb sticks you find (completely made up number) will be personal sticks, not malware sticks, I'd guess. Of course, depends on where you live.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012

Not necessary. If the firmware of the usb stick is "hacked" merely plugging it into a computer will infect your computer.

Gunkk0

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2016
Well that's how Stuxnet got into the Iran nuclear centrifuges... so of course it'll work. The only thing better would be to print BRAZZERS on them first beforehand...

nah. just spray paint them gray and put the white apple logo on them and you have at least a 90%chance of someone snaging it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS